Influence of Sports Equipment on Sci-Fi and Fantasy Designs

Not sure if this is of any relevance to '80s Warhammer, but just in case...

Back when Games Workshop released the first plastic Cadians, I wondered why their flak armour did not fully cover their guts (unlike e.g. the older Necromundan Imperial Guard). As someone engrossed in history, including historical armour, it always seemed odd. When browsing skis and protective gear in a sports supply store that was shutting down some years ago, it quickly became apparent where that design came from: Chest protective gear from motocross, and in particular protective kit in American football.

Are there other examples of modern sports equipment influencing aesthetic design in science fiction and fantasy? Please share and illustrate with pictures along with text if possible. And feel free to turn this into a discussion of influences on sci-fi/fantasy designs in general, not just influence of sports equipment.

6700517-1431-fr_a-10-full-chest-protector.jpg

20-american-football-ps-brushes-abr-vol-5.jpg

99120105039_CadianShockTroopsNEW01.jpg

Zhu Bajie

Re: Influence of Sports Equipment on Sci-Fi and Fantasy Desi

Interesting discussion!

One of the Orcs in the Fantasy Warlord range (circa 1991) has american football style shoulder pads / chest-plate.

L1190561.JPG

The guy on the right doing the Fonz pose.

I think the earliest example I can think of of sports protective equipment being used in sci-fi / fantasy outside of a sports context is Mad Max 2 (1981)

316f84b574f90358cfa726d1df3f6bb6.jpg

To my mind those Imperial guard look a bit naff. It makes sense for Dredd to walk around in massive shoulderpads, because it's exaggerated 'falling off a bike armour' - not 'combat armour'. Why on earth do these guys have unarmored stomachs - the centre of the target in ballistic fight and prone to slashing? Even our mate Wez there from Mad Max 2 is using chainmail to protect his squishy internal organs. Well at least they don't have dustbins strapped to their legs like Terminator marines.

The Dark Eldar Scourges are reminiscent of kite-surfing. I doubt it's a direct reference, but there is something of the hang-hop-bounce and the wetsuit.

Back