Ian Miller video interview!

Zhu Bajie

What a nice chap.

Good to hear Ian give a shout-out to GW, as I thought they'd not parted on the best of terms. Makes me want to watch Wizards for the 4th time this week.

Zhu Bajie":28m74o91 said:
What a nice chap.

Good to hear Ian give a shout-out to GW, as I thought they'd not parted on the best of terms.
Looking at his works, I think he isn't really a good artist by himself. He needs to illustrate an imaginative setting to shine. So even if it ended badly, his work on Wh40k and Realms of Chaos was probably the peak of his artistic career.

I'd say the same about Tony Hough.

Why did you think they haven't parted on the best of terms?

Zhu Bajie

AranaszarSzuur":m5tet17s said:
Zhu Bajie":m5tet17s said:
What a nice chap.

Good to hear Ian give a shout-out to GW, as I thought they'd not parted on the best of terms.
Looking at his works, I think he isn't really a good artist by himself. He needs to illustrate an imaginative setting to shine. So even if it ended badly, his work on Wh40k and Realms of Chaos was probably the peak of his artistic career.

I'd say the same about Tony Hough.

Why did you think they haven't parted on the best of terms?

Well, Ian is an illustrator, not an fine artist - they are different things really, not only in the way the work is created and consumed, but in how the images work. I think ians work on Wizards and the Tolkien Bestiary and Gormenghast is easily on-par with RoC. His Rogue Trader stuff has some great character and robot designs gets a bit too into his looser more sketchy style for me. Just personal taste, I prefer his tighter linework stuff.

Regarding Ian leaving GW, it's this quote from David Pringle (editor of Flame Publications / GW Books where Ian was employed as Art Director),:

"Ian Miller only lasted a year or so. There was some sort of blazing row between him and Bryan Ansell and Tom Kirby - But I don't know the full details, or I've managed to forget them. I just kept my head down and carried on editing books. So eventually Ian left in a bad temper, and the guy he had brought in as an assistant to us both - also left.'

I really don't know any more than that,

I was introduced to him via The Tolkien Bestiary, which I was gifted for my birthday one year, when I was a young lad.

I didn't appreciate the book or the artwork at the time, but thankfully I kept hold of it and I'm bloody well glad I did!

Thanks for sharing. I kind of like and dislike his work at the same time. The way he illustrates the WFB universe is far from the way I imagine that universe to be, but that is interesting in its own right since his illustrations can give the universe a very different flavour.

By the way, I wasn't introduced to his work through WFB but through "Magic the Gathering" where he illustrated some cards:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Searc ... ed&artist=[%22Ian%20Miller%22]

Back