Old sculpts

leadeagle

I have a question for all space marine buffs, lore mongers, and general trivia collectors. The rogue trader Techmarine from days of yore had a claw sculpted on the shoulder pad. I am curious as to the origins or meaning behind this. It clearly is a clawed creatures hand and not the symbolic hand later given as the Techmarine icon. Does anyone know what this was supposed to represent? It was on all the techmarines of that era. I've been trying to find out for a long time and can't get a definitive answer.

I'd love to know if there was an actual reason behind it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was all just down to Mark Copplestone thinking it just looked cool. :lol:

Chico

I don't know if this is cannon or just made up on the whim but as a wee young 'un around 94/95 I asked this question to a Watford Red Shirt as I just ordered a few from the back catalogues.

If I remember correctly the answer he gave me was along the lines that it represents the Tech Marines own hand that they have replaced with a Bionic when they joined the Mechanicus/Techmarine Cult as part of giving ones self too the Machine.

Suber

I belive it is directly related to the hand symbol you mention, that being a Techmarine emblem (as referred in the Space Marines Painting Guide of those days).

url

So I think the sculpt is no more than the 3D representation of the White Hand. In fact...

dieselmonkey":3fhzx1t2 said:
I'd love to know if there was an actual reason behind it, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was all just down to Mark Copplestone thinking it just looked cool. :lol:

I believe this quite likely to be the very actual reason :lol:

Chico":2n7nxkhg said:
I don't know if this is cannon or just made up on the whim but as a wee young 'un around 94/95 I asked this question to a Watford Red Shirt as I just ordered a few from the back catalogues.

If I remember correctly the answer he gave me was along the lines that it represents the Tech Marines own hand that they have replaced with a Bionic when they joined the Mechanicus/Techmarine Cult as part of giving ones self too the Machine.

that sounds legit tbh. that lore was used for the iron hands later on, so it makes sense.

Back