What is this John Blanche artwork?

Does it go under any particular name? Was it used as an illustration for something specific back in the day? And so on, just curious. Glorious painting:

KmkEsmI.jpg

Zhu Bajie

That piece also appears in the 1987 2nd Edition Ravening Hordes and WFRP1e rulebook. I guess it was just done as a general mood piece to be used as filler - but the composition with the large empty area at the top does make it look like it might have been intended a miniatures box or perhaps a book cover.

Fimm McCool":2b6d4tt6 said:
Knew I'd seen it in WFRP context somewhere!

It's where I remember it from, mainly as I read through the Doomstones campaign the other week! It obviously predates that by some time, though, and it's been used repeatedly over the years, as Zhu mentioned.

Fimm McCool

I think I remember it from the WFRP book as I never had the Doomstones campaign books. Looks like it may have been originally intended as a scenario pack like Lichemaster or a boxed set of minis like the Regiments of Renown.

Zhu Bajie

Aha! It was orignally for GM publications The Awakening.

tumblr_o8grkqI1gD1r1g40zo1_1280.jpg

But now I'm confused, because I think the Doomstones campaign was based on The Complete Dungeon Master Series, not the GameMaster Publications series.

Since I began "oldhammering", I have saved a lot of pictures related to the hobby on my computer. One of them is a picture of the front cover of "The Awakening" which I stumpled upon just around a year ago. I had never seen the illustration before but I instantaneously fell in love with it. Some day I would like to convert and paint some dwarfs to look like the ones from the illustration, but I've got lots of other projects to finish first... :roll:

Zhu Bajie

LilBroGrendel":3dbjvtbz said:
Since I began "oldhammering", I have saved a lot of pictures related to the hobby on my computer. One of them is a picture of the front cover of "The Awakening" which I stumpled upon just around a year ago. I had never seen the illustration before but I instantaneously fell in love with it. Some day I would like to convert and paint some dwarfs to look like the ones from the illustration, but I've got lots of other projects to finish first... :roll:

That's a nice idea. The Ogre is easliy done, as it is non other than Hrothyogg!
WD79p50C23Ogresx-01.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised to find one or two of the dwarfs knocking around in the ranges as well.

Zhu Bajie":12jd3wrs said:
That's a nice idea. The Ogre is easliy done, as it is non other than Hrothyogg!

I wouldn't be surprised to find one or two of the dwarfs knocking around in the ranges as well.

Hrothygg is a nice Ogre figure indeed :mrgreen: I'm sure there are other more Dwarf sculpts represented on the illustration. The one I am most eager to convert and paint would be the boar rider.

Back