What do you want to do next?

Outsider

A lot of us have projects we're in the middle of, piles of lead and plastic unpainted and other things we really should get done first.

However, there's still that little voice in the back of your mind that goes "I rather fancy one of those..." and even if we can resist it, it's nice to dream. So to stave off dumping cash and filling up space on the painting table with more grey and metal, tell us what miniatures, units or armies do you find yourself wanting as you're busy working on your current stuff.

For me, it's currently two things; a force of Grenadier and plastic Citadel orcs and a small force of Dark Elves, using the plastic 90s Dark Elf Citadel swordsmen and the fantasy regiment crossbowmen; nothing too big, say 20 of each plus a hero.

Sleepysod

I only started collecting and painting last June, after a 20 year gap, but have already developed an unhealthy eBay habit and now have many items which are probably going nowhere. I spot something nice at a reasonable price, think what the hell, then am filled with pangs of regret when i actually win it...

Am allegedly focussing on citadels 2000ad/ dredd and some of the pre spacefleet models, but have a ton of perry and foundry medievals that I have touched for months .

Plans for a Nick Lund black orc army have fallen by the wayside, as have the Norse and Nippon armies... but would love to do a jes godwin ogre regiment and i wouldn't say no to a dogs of war pike regiment

My last Warhammer related project, which I was working on throughout the first half of 2017, turned out to be a complete disaster (for a number of factors) and resulted in me selling my entire collection and pretty much giving up on Warhammer entirely!

However, my AHQ:razz:OP project, which came to me a couple of weeks ago, has inspired me to start again and I will be working on that for the next few months.

When it's finished -- i.e. when I'm able to set it up and play it any time and require no more components for it, my NEXT plan is to create an entirely home-brew version of classic Hero Quest, using a custom board and (probably) Reaper miniatures.

UrchinJoe

I'm just getting started on something that should be fairly manageable. In 1987 GW released a bunch of dragons, including seven nicely illustrated, boxed ones (the DRAG# series). A couple of weeks ago I had the thought to collect and paint all of them, either based loosely on the box art or just in whatever way I fancy. Seven seems like a reasonable number to deal with, in terms of price and effort, and most of them seem to be fairly common on eBay.

The other thing is to get a bunch of giants. I know it's been done before, but I'm fascinated by scale (as I guess are a lot of miniature collectors) and there are loads of different companies making giants at all different sizes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chico

Currently doing alot of modern stuff (It's now my bread and butter gaming) but Oldhammerish wise it's 2nd 40k Necrons which I'm trying to get hold off and not having too much luck.

I've recently painted up three Regiments of Renown: the Flying Gargoyles of Barda, the Nightmare Legion and the Disciples of the Red Redemption. I quite enjoyed painting them, and it's led me to think about collecting up and painting all of them.

I've already got a few RoR sets to paint up, but it'd be a fairly long-term project, and not the cheapest thing in the world, but if I see any crop up cheaply I'll them up and add them to the queue. It's something to aim for, eventually!

Sleepysod

I really enjoyed your blog post on the gargoyles. When I first started out the Citadel Journal with the list of different regiments was a brilliant source for a young imagination. I had many of the later box sets but of the older ones I only ever managed to pick up the half orcs and one of notlobs bolt throwers.

Also I agree with the earlier suggestion 're giants. Would be great to do a few of those. Great variety out there

I have a lot of construction sides when it comes to Oldhammer. As prices rank partly quite high when searching for certain models I buy on impulse. So my armies grow slowly a model here, a regiment there and from time to time a missing book when there is a chance.

Well, the main project I'm working on, is creating an Orcs & Goblins army. I don't have en exact plan for how it's going to be structured, but it will include a unit of regular Orc Boyz, a unit of Orc Arrer Boyz, a unit og Goblins and a unit of Half-Orcs - and probably also a unit of Black Orcs and some warmachines. So far, the only stuff that I have painted is the unit of Half-Orcs which is only... half-finished ;)

Apart from that army project, I have got several other projects - in no particular order:
- Creating some terrain. I have built a cottage which needs to have a few details added before painting. And I have been working on some fences, hedges and walls etc. But I also want to create some regular hills, woods etc.
- Creating a warband that could be used for various skirmish games like Mordheim, Frostgrave, etc.
- Collecting and painting various creatures and heroes for some dungeon crawler game. The nice thing about this is that instead of painting lots and lots of Orcs, say, you could paint all sorts of different creatures like skeletons, zombies, bugbears, rats, you name it :)

twisted moon

i'm working on finishing my human old world mercenaries at the moment. after that i'm going to try and build some mine terrain. if i get that done then i'll probably move onto adding to my wood elves / sidhe, though i'm keen to get back to my skaven / ratussians.

I am mainly doing chaos renegades at the moment. But other projects I have in mind are some imperial troops for Rogue trader and inquisitor retinues. Also I will return to add more to genestealer and chaos armies at some point.

Late

I have some Khornate beastmen in the works, then it's time I start converting my Mordheim undead warband.

Padre

I have a box of Hundred Years War French I want to turn into a new little Bretonnian force for my campaign, and loads more individual characters to paint for story pictures, and a bunch of Estalian sword and buckler men to paint up for mercenaries. I'm also half way through 10 more undead horse, and there's some marching swiss pikemen that I really like the look of in my local shop, and I have some ogres to convert into leadbelchers as the player in question hasn't enough to represent his in-game forces. One by one, bit by bit, things get ticked off on my list of things to do, but always more gets added. Keeps me busy!

Sprinkles

I have been pondering this very question on my blog of late, almost to distract myself from the setting i'm building that seems to be never ending!. Some dream projects would be gaming the final siege from Army of Darkness, building some late medieval style fantasy warbands for 'Gentleman Bastards/ 3 Musketeer' style city scuffles or Gaming some of the history of Westeros using 10mm forces (maybe for scale-mangled Kings of War)

tjgreenway

I'm taking a break from painting 10mm and Malifaux at the moment to start on some late 80's Orcs, which I hope will develop into a fun little warband for use in WHFB and some other skirmish games. I've got some '87 Savage Orcs as a starting point and eventually want to amass the forces to run Blood Bath at Orc's Drift for friends, but we'll see how far I get with that - it's not a huge number count on the scenario but I do have a bunch of other stuff I want to get done as well. I may end up painting up some random 90's Night Gobbo's I have lying around to bulk out the force, but we'll see - 110 Orcs is definitely achievable in the few months I want to knock it all together.

Already been browsing Wargames Foundry's range of Orcs for some contemporary figures to add in, so it won't be purely Oldhammer in the 'lead only' sense, but definitely going for the slightly more cartoony 80's look that I love for Orcs :grin:

Back