The Market Report: eBay Rules & Scenarios

Zhu Bajie

eBay sold values checked 1st June 2012 - 12 Sept 2011.

Code:
Title									Avg	#
1st Edition							54	2
Forces of Fantasy					20	2
The First Citadel Compendium	 13	2
The Second Citadel Compendium	13	2
2nd edition						   17	1
Bloodbath Orcs Drift				12	3
Terror of the Lichemaster		 17	1
Blood on the Streets				 ?    ?
Tragedy of McDeath				  16	3
Ravening Hordes					  11	3
3rd Edition					      14	4
Armies								   6	4
Siege								   13	1
Realm of Chaos: StD			    29	15
Realm of Chaos: LatD			   66	11

Title: Name of item - only correctly listed items are counted. Items listed as "old warhamma book" are not included.
Average price: this may be skewed by the number of incomplete / damaged vs. mint condition items sold during this time.
# number of items of this type sold in this period

Date range is governed by eBay completed listings so may not be 100% accurate for all items.

Interesting to see that Realm of Chaos: Lost and the Damned, whilst the highest price, is also one of the most commonly sold items.

Just John

That's very interesting although given that I bought one of the Armies books and paid 99p for it that means the other sold for £15. I suppose it shows that the more accurate figures are for books that have had multiple sales in the period.

Its also interesting that the scenario packs go for a lot less than they are appearing for on ebay at the moment. The Terror of the Lichmaster that someone (sorry I forget who) highlighted on sale for £125 is now reduced to £55 and stil no takers :grin: (Is it sad that I have had it in my watch list for ages - i must be driving the owner up the wall)

Finally how come whenever I look for Ravening Hordes its not there and yet 3 have been sold recently - that's just not fair

Zhu Bajie

Hey, well done on the 99p Armies. Bargain! I think I miscounted the Armies books, so have recounted those.

Also, in fairness, the products need to be graded. A BNIB Lichemaster with everything should go for a lot more than a half empty box. Also there are first and second editions of most of these things (Blood on the Streets has an Ian Miller cover version for example) and I've paid no attention to that.

Orlygg

Thank you for this. Its very informative. Funny how The Lost and the Damned is still the DADDY of the classic books.

Thehermit

i was very happy to pi8ck up a copy of 3rd for £7.65 and armies for 99p this week! i was expecting and wiling to pay £15 each.

cheers
Steve

Zhu Bajie

Well done! I saw the Q tho' Next round I will be more detailed, but I can say the Dave Andrews (?) Blue cover TotL appears a lot more frequently than the Miler cover.

Code:
Warhammer 1st Edition						
Forces of Fantasy					
The First Citadel Compendium	
The Second Citadel Compendium	
Warhammer 2nd edition	 
Bloodbath at Orcs Drift				
Terror of the Lichemaster A		
Terror of the Lichemaster B
Blood on the Streets A		
Blood on the Streets B
Tragedy of McDeath			
Ravening Hordes
The Third Citadel Compendium
Citadel Journal Spring 1985
Citadel Journal Autumn 1985
Citadel Journal Spring 1986
Citadel Journal Spring 1987				
Warhammer 3rd Edition					   
Armies							
Siege					
Realm of Chaos: StD 1st	
Realm of Chaos: StD 2nd	
Realm of Chaos: LatD

Anything else that needs adding? or knows of other variants?

bug16

Zhu Bajie":2rchkibb said:
Well done! I saw the Q tho' Next round I will be more detailed, but I can say the Dave Andrews (?) Blue cover TotL appears a lot more frequently than the Miler cover.

I'm actually surprised that's the case because the original cover was only available for a short time compared to the Ian Miller version.

Anything else that needs adding? or knows of other variants?

The only other thing is the difference in price of the hardback and softback 3rd ed WHFB book. What might be handy is cost related to completeness of things like the old 1st/2nd edition scenario packs. I.e. do they come with the card buildings and badges. Also is it worth covering things like the very old map packs GW used to release or things like Dungeon Floor Plans and Caverns? I can't remember what the book containing all of the card buildings from the scenario packs was called but that might be worth a look as well?

Zhu Bajie

Ah yes, Warhammer Townscape - how could I forget!

There was a softback 3rd ed??? Pics please!

The Dungeon Planner series of floorplans (Caverns of the Dead and Nightmare in Blackmarsh) both mention being compatible with Warhammer on the boxes, but have no Warhammer specific game content - they're just generic floorplans with some fluff attached. That said, I have both and love them to bits... Similarly with the Dungeon Floor Plans (have the first boxed, not the others) - not specifically Warhammer... but are generic and compatible - suppose its just the effort of tracking all those variations that put me off!

Back to TotL, the Miller edition was only a short while before 3rd was released. It could be (wild speculation here) that they printed up some shiny new boxes in order to try to shift the last remaining stock of booklets / cards before 3E came out, as it would no longer be compatible. This sold some (not all), they then ditched the boxes and packaged up the remaining stock as Townscape. That means the print run on the Miller box could be very low. So my theory is that the building plans were printed once, then that same print-run was repackaged multiple times. I'd have to compare card-stocks and print-quality between items to 'test' the theory. Unfortunately I think collectors and traders tend to buy multiple incomplete sets to build complete ones, so its impossible to guarantee an uncontaminated sample :geek:

bug16

Zhu Bajie":kzfty0xz said:
Ah yes, Warhammer Townscape - how could I forget!

There was a softback 3rd ed??? Pics please!

I'll take some later on today. Just bear in mind that my copy is my original from around 1989 and it's been VERY heavily used, a lot of the pages are loose. It's exactly the same as the hardback, just in softback. I can't remember if it came out about six months after the initial hardback release or if it came out at the same time as the Rogue Trader was also printed in softback. At the time it was a fiver less than the hardback (£10) so was more appealing to me back then. Warhammer Armies was never released as softback though, I can still remember moaning to the manager at my then local GW that I wanted them to print a cheaper softback version!

The Dungeon Planner series of floorplans (Caverns of the Dead and Nightmare in Blackmarsh) both mention being compatible with Warhammer on the boxes, but have no Warhammer specific game content - they're just generic floorplans with some fluff attached. That said, I have both and love them to bits... Similarly with the Dungeon Floor Plans (have the first boxed, not the others) - not specifically Warhammer... but are generic and compatible - suppose its just the effort of tracking all those variations that put me off!

I think what made me think of them was because I used to play 2nd edition as a skirmish set with Dungeon Floor Plans and, oddly, the Halls of Horror floorplan set. Mind you my Undead also fought there way over the CitiBlock set many times as well! I never owned the Dungeon Planner sets and I'm not sure I'm curious enough to spend £20 each on them via ebay. If you're after Halls of Horror set then I'm intending to sell mine. It's complete and in VERY good used condition, the box is in fantastic condition for the age. It also came with three sheets of Dungeon Floor Plans and Caverns as a bonus when I bought it, which was nice. PM me if interested.

Back to TotL, the Miller edition was only a short while before 3rd was released. It could be (wild speculation here) that they printed up some shiny new boxes in order to try to shift the last remaining stock of booklets / cards before 3E came out, as it would no longer be compatible. This sold some (not all), they then ditched the boxes and packaged up the remaining stock as Townscape. That means the print run on the Miller box could be very low. So my theory is that the building plans were printed once, then that same print-run was repackaged multiple times. I'd have to compare card-stocks and print-quality between items to 'test' the theory. Unfortunately I think collectors and traders tend to buy multiple incomplete sets to build complete ones, so its impossible to guarantee an uncontaminated sample :geek:

Townscape! That's the one! :) As for TotLM I think you could well be right with regard to the run time for the second print, I certainly don't remember seeing any of the scenario packs once 3rd edition was released. I'll have a flick through my WD's and see if there are any adverts with packs that might help work out a timescale.

bug16

Looks like my memory failed me slightly as the softback came out in 1991, was I really using other peoples rulebooks for four years?! :shock:

Photos, not sure how to make them smaller here so apologies if they're too large:

Front

FBsoftfront_zps7215eef7.jpg

Back

FBsoftback_zpscc3af6e9.jpg

Front comparison with the hardback on the left

FBsoftcompfront_zps50fac171.jpg

Back comparison with the hardback on the left

FBsoftcompback_zps54a464e8.jpg

I'm sure you can tell which one I use and which one sits on a shelf.

bug16

And just to be annoying what about the original Mighty Empires? That had quite a lot of 3rd edition stuff in it.

Zhu Bajie

Yeah, you're probably right. And what about Blood Bowl 1st Ed.? and WH40K:RT and WFRP, because they all use Warhammer 2nd rules as a base?

Ah, thanks for those photos. Yeah 1991 is a bit late for me, I'd 'grown out' of all that silly stuff by then. Ha ha ha!

Softback definitely goes in! I'm going to speculate again: Each edition of Warhammer got 1 print-run, and when that print-run was nearly sold out, they did a new edition rather than just reprint the old one. GW were running out of hardbacks by 1991, and were working on 4th Ed, but it wasn't near enough through production (as they had big-box plans for it), so a cheaper (cost-wise) softback edition was released to 'fill the gap' - so this could have been a very small print run. I could be wrong and there might have been multiple print-runs of 3rd, but I don't think so. I'd be interested if anyone has a 3rd Ed HB with "second printing" or some-such.

Hey. I also played WH as a dungeon-crawl on their floorplans! I got one of the dungeon planners for nothing, and the other one I got 2 incomplete sets for less than £5 each, I wouldn't spend £20 on them. I'm not all that interested in the later 4 colour floorplans, despite playing the heck out of the reissued set 1 back in the day, I prefer the earlier 2-color sets these days.

If you're up for doing some "completed listings" searches on eBay, then we could divide up the research duties, it's just too much work for me to cover the whole product range. I plan on doing a run every quarter. Also need to be grading them, perhaps based on http://www.acaeum.com/frontdesk/grading.html

Back