Introductory Scenario

phreedh

Great scenario Steve! For me, an even more basic one would be of use. I'm talking REALLY introductory. This is nice for a group who have a GM with a firm grip of the rules. I'm talking about a way to get going quickly either solo or as a pair, in a straight slugfest. Human infantry vs orc infantry, no funny business (like magic or special troops). A few characters, some missile troops. Yes, these are easy to work out on your own but as most of us are REAAALLY busy with our family lives and don't waste all day on forums, blogs and in man caves it could be nice to have a really quick pick up and play intro kit. I'm thinking Oldhammer for Dummies. Eadbashing 101. Introductory class to crumpin.

I'm very intimidated by the WHFB 3.0 book. It has LOTS of pages of rules. Makes me noggin 'urt, it does.

Thantsants

Makes me noggin 'urt, it does.

Ah bless your cotton socks! ;)

Fair point though matey, as 3rd ed. has been my bedtime reading for many a year I kind of assume a level of familiarity that maybe isn't there for newcomers.

I think this would still make a good introductory scenario, especially if we put in another article about gaming without a GM? Ideas on a postcard - basic rules for how monsters and 3rd party units and characters move and react during the game.

We could also include a small addendum to the rules we're writing up, in the form of a really simple scenario along the lines of your suggestion. Suggested troops, stats for them, victory conditions and a basic story line of Orc hunting after a raid on the Human village or something like that.

I've also been thinking of putting together some very basic magic rules for BLOOD too, which would be nice to include and enable folks to include magic in the Indio Anjones scenario.

Thantsants

Righto - how's this for a really basic scenario.

It could be further slimmed down if its a bit long to shoehorn in onto the end of the rules.

The Battle of Wunoewun

What are people's feelings on including this as part of the rules and in addition to the Indio Anjones scenario?

Zhu Bajie

NEEDZ MOAR RULEZ! ha!

Both are really good.

Thantsants":9qa5rsz4 said:
I think this would still make a good introductory scenario, especially if we put in another article about gaming without a GM? Ideas on a postcard - basic rules for how monsters and 3rd party units and characters move and react during the game.

Alternate players take control, and play them in accordance with their given motives? Seems simple enough.

Thantsants

Yup - its the way I usually play it. Just wondered if there were any other bright ideas out there that weren't as hideously complicated as the dice tables for movement and reactions I also had brewing in the back of my mind.

I'd also be interested in how people get round things like 3rd party units that need to be hidden from both sides, random monster encounters and suchlike.

Erny

Most of those things are covered by good honest sportsmanship, anyone willing to cheat a friend playing these games is no Oldhammerer.

Great scenario, lots of fun to be had there.

Zhu Bajie

Well, there is always the robots rules from 40KRT (WD 104 and one of the collected RT books, don't know which) I've used those for 'programmed undead' in the past, but they may be too complex for an intro scenario. It's a really just a straightforward flowchart generation system, plugged in to Oldhammer variables, with the inevitable point system attached. Hmm I might write that up at some point. Fog of War effects, a percentage chance to appear on each turn could work.

Then again, "hideously complex dice tables" sounds very much in the spirit of 80s gaming.

Thantsants

Most of those things are covered by good honest sportsmanship, anyone willing to cheat a friend playing these games is no Oldhammerer.

Too true Erny - this may be somewhat alien to any new converts brought up on a diet of Newhammer beardiness and WAAC (Winning at all costs)! :lol:

Funny you should mention the Robot programs Zhu - I was reading that article just the other night. I like the idea of using it to control undead, although I think you're right about them being a little complex.

Then again, "hideously complex dice tables" sounds very much in the spirit of 80s gaming.

Haha, just what I was thinking!

I was after something that would retain a little of the element of surprise for a 2 player game that involved hidden forces, ambushes, random monsters, etc. Possibly dividing the table into zones with a table of possible and relevant encounters for each zone. Once enemy forces appear on the table they could be controlled by dice tables not unlike the action table for creatures suffering from stupidity, but with options such as advance on the enemy, charge or fire missile weapons and such like. The complexity would come in if you were to go down a similar line to the Robot flowcharts - is there an enemy unit in charge range? If yes roll on table A, if no roll on Table B. The flowcharts would probably be a better way of doing it though.

Could all be a bit involved but at least players wouldn't know exactly what, if anything at all, was going to ambush them and have a mechanism for controlling them.

Getting a bit ahead of the game possibly here - just wondered if it was worth putting in an article introducing folk to the role of GM and perhaps a few tips on how to play scenarios without one?

knobgobbler

I've been incommunicado for a bit, goofy family matters ate my head, but I should have my drawings in for this shortly... hopefully in time to make a few changes is necessary.

Just wanted to post an 'I'm not entirely dead yet' notice.

K

Back