Helsreach 2018

Helsreach was so fun in 2017, so its on again in 2018.

This time around it will be me and hopefully Mattblackgod putting out the terrain. I should imagine I can get the desert cloth again of Scalene as we sort of have joint ownership! (By the way Scalene will be running a cool sounding AdMech game:http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12151)

In the last installment, Kevin made the most money, while Benamon took over control of the mayoral residence and installed a new mayor.

The vehicle rules sort of worked, in that we had plenty of vehicles on the table and the movement was fine. However, they proved to be flawed. The main issue was that everyone rocked up with an APC! This time round there will be stricter rules for vehicles. I plant to build and cast a set of parts to go with some rules, so there will be stuff available to use, or bring your own built using the rules outlines.

Suggestions and commentry would be greatly appreciated! I will thrash out some new vehicle rules and post them up here.
Other modifications will be around the disparity between a starting necromunda gangs and a starting list from Shadow War. The shadow war ones are alot tougher! Imagine 8 gangers vs 6 plague marines. It will be interesting to see what the new Necromunda rules will be like!

Last year people brought a 1000 point gang, but this year I think everyone can take upgrades!

Each gang is 1000 points. You can choose from ANY necromunda publication, (I guess including the new one, although the fancy new weapons will not be supported.) This includes Inquisimunda, White Dwarves, Yaktribe pages, Fanatic Mag etc etc.

Experience: Experience may be bought for the gang at 5 creds per experience point.

Each gang can take vehicles as well for free, still have to work out exactly what these will be like, but the free vehicles will probably have movement about 20", Toughness 5 and be open. To make them better, take upgrades! You can have any amount of vehicles for free, if you want to do a bike gang, just dont be a power gamer ;)

Shadow Wars gangs are allowed but you cant take any upgrades. Shadow Wars teams are pretty powerful compared to a basic 1000 point gang.

HELSREACH UPGRADES POINTS each gang can take 20 of these. I was thinking of limiting these to 3 per model, but in the end, do anything you want just not POWER GAMING!!!!
Each upgrade costs 1 upgrade point.

Stat increase: +1 to any stat. May not go above the human maximum which is below, although some discussion on this might be good.
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
10 7 7 7 7 6 8 6 10

Skill: Choose any skill from your gangs skill tables.

Armour: Each armour upgrade increases the armour save by one "pip". Minimum is obviously 2+ ;)

Cash: The gang gets +10 creds.

Cheat: If you want to do something that is against the rules, or just a bit overpowered or whatever then pay an "upgrade point" out of your 20 and just do it. Rule of cool takes precedent. You can if you want also add a DISADVANTAGE as a way of making your character or gang more fun, yes not over-powered.

Vehicle Upgrades are in the vehicle section. Vehicle Upgrades are "paid" of of your 20 "upgrade points"

HELSREACH ECONOMY 2018

Players must choose a faction to play as, either the (mostly)Honest Helsreach citizens or the Outlaws.

At the end of both days the player with the most Helsreach Victory Points (HVP) will be declared the days winner.

Players gain HVP by performing certain actions as follows:

1. Killing the opposition. Players get 1 HVP for each wound or vehicle damage point they inflict on the opposing faction.

2. Gather resources. A set number of boxes, crates and barrels will be placed around the board. Players may trade them in for 1 HVP each at the market or Outlaw Trading Post.

3. Hunting. Taking a dead animal to the Bush Meat Trader or Outlaw Trading post earns 1 HVP per wound of the animal.

4. Reassmbling the statue. A huge statue is missing 3 parts. Players who can re-fit a part will be rewarded with 10 HVP.

5. Other outstanding feats of bravery or amusing acts of ridiculous tomfoolery will also be awarded HVP at the Gms discretion.

SPENDING HVP
Players can also spend HVP. These are permanently removed from the gang's HVP total.

They may be spent on the following options:

1 HVP to respawn a model that is out of action. Models are either respawned at the Doc's or at the Outlaw Trading Post.

1 HVP may be spent to respawn a damaged or destroyed vehicle. This is then placed at the GMs discretion, probably very close to your gang unless that would be really unfair ;)

1 HVP may be spent to purchase D6 weapon reloads at the market.

1 HVP may be spent to make a gang upgrade. These are the same as the 20 upgrade points for gang generation. This includes stat increases, new skills, vehicle upgrades etc.

One idea is to limit the vehicles to trucks with a flatbed to take the gang. Maybe limit the weapon on it to a machine gun/heavy stubbed or similar.

Yes precisely. Player have to bring less armored vehicles! I think mounting weapons is pretty irrelevant anyway, surly your heavy gets the heavy weapon?

I think some kind of simplistic build rules might work. A basic vehicle that can take upgrades, or maybe even trade off upgrades for downsides?

One suggestion to limit vehicles was to track their fuel consumption: APCs take LOADS of fuel, open lightweight trucks use less fuel. This might be a bit fiddly, but it could be fun to link the in game fuel drum commodity to the vehicles. Ie each turn you rive it uses up a fuel token. You can refuel by picking up or buying fuel drums.

Vehicles really need to be able to be damaged by S3 weaponry or they become what they were in 2017, ie indestructable bunkers!

Fuel tracking is a good idea and fuel hunting would keep players moving around the board. Maybe rules for stealing fuel from each other could be added? That would persuade players to raid each otber.

I agree about the heavy weapons.

OK, this is the start of the "rules", I will post them on the opening post when they are hammered out.

Last year people brought a 1000 point gang, but this year I think everyone can take upgrades!

So each gang is 1000 points. You can choose from ANY necromunda publication, (I guess including the new one, although the fancy new weapons will not be supported.) This includes Inquisimunda, White Dwarves, Yaktribe pages, Fanatic Mag etc etc.

Each gang can take vehicles as well for free, still have to work out exactly what these will be like, but the free vehicles will probably have movement about 20", Toughness 5 and be open. To make them better, take upgrades!

Shadow Wars gangs are allowed but you cant take any upgrades.

UPGRADES each gang can take 20 of these. I was thinking of limiting these to 3 per model, but in the end, do anything you want just not POWER GAMING!!!!

Stat increase: +1 to any stat. May not go above the human maximum which is below, although some discuassion on this might be good.
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
10 7 7 7 7 6 8 6 10

Skill: Choose any skill from your gangs skill tables.

Armour: Each armour upgrade increases the armour save by one "pip". Minimum is obviously 2+ ;)

Cash: The gang gets +10 creds.

Experience: Experience may be bought for the gang at 5 creds per experience point.

Vehicle Upgrades are in the vehicle section.

EDIT: Im just posting this to the opening post.

so, just to be clear...

I create 1000 p gang and I'm allowed to add 20 free upgrades like skills, stats increase, mutations... (distributed freely among the members)

am I right?

Yes exactly. I just added that you can trade an Upgrade for 10 creds too. You can also spend them on vehicle upgrades.

Here are the vehicle rules:

VEHICLES

Vehicles are free to include in your gang. Players may take as many as they like.
Each vehicle must be driven by a member of your gang, although they driver may change or get out.
You can mount weapons on them as you choose, but the weapon costs come out of your gang creds.

Movement Toughness Capacity Damage Manouverability

Speeder Bike 100, 5, 2, 5, 270
Bike 36, 5, 2, 5, 270
Ground Car 24, 5, 5, 10, 180
Trailer 0, 5, 4, 10, 0
Ornithopter 36, 4, 4, 10, 270
Mining Walker 12, 6, 12, 15, 180

UPGRADES
Upgrades are taken out of your allowance of 20 upgrades for the gang.

Armoured Vehicle. Each increase adds +1 T to your vehicle to a max of 8.

Enclosed Crew space: This is a single space for one crew member, more spaces may be added. A model in an enclosed crew space may not be targeted by shooting or combat, but may not attack or shoot. If the model opens the hatch to fire out or attack out then they are visible and may be shot with Overwatch, shot in the next turn or Attacked in combat. The enclosed crew space can be Closed or Open and remains that way until the players next turn. A player cannot open a hatch and close it in the same turn. Models in a closed compartment are not visible and may not be shot at or attacked in combat, but may themselves not shoot or attack. Models in an open compartment are visible and may be shot at or attacked and may do so themselves.

Assault vehicle: Models disembarking may make a charge move.

Faster! Each of these upgrades makes the vehicle go 5" further.

Reliable: The vehicle gets +1 Damage. More may be added.

Extra Seat. Add +1 Capacity for each extra seat.

Ram: Making a ram with your ram adds another D6 damage to the target vehicle. If the vehicle susessfully hits a pedestrian then the character is wounded on a 3+ rather than a 6.

MOVEMENT
Vehicles may only increase their speed by half of their Movement each turn. SO vehicles go from 0 to full speed in 2 turns. Models may decelarate at thier full speed, so can basically stop at any time.

MANEUVERABILITY
Maneuverability shows how many degrees a vehicle may spin each turn.
A vehicle may spin any amount of degrees at any point in its movement.
Vehicles may make multiple spins each turn as long as the total is not more than it's Manouverability.
This rule is to make moving simple, so just estimate, usually in 45, 90 or 180 degree spins.

SPECIAL DAMAGE
If a vehicle takes more than 3 damage in a single turn it may take Special Damage.
Roll a D6,

1,2,3 Minor Mishap
4,5,6 Major Damage

Minor Mishap
1. Spins D6 x D6 x 10 degrees
2. Grinds to a halt and may not move next turn.
3. Driver spills their beverage, so is pinned. The vehicle must continue at its current speed until the model recovers from being pinned.
4. Lurches forward D6 inches.
5. Random Passenger(or diver) falls off and is pinned.
6. Chips the paint work.

Major Damage
1. Spins D6 x D6 x D6 degrees
2. Immobilised
3. Everyone on board is pinned
4. Lurches 3D6" 1-2: 45 degrees left 3-4: straight forward 5-6: 45 degrees right
5. Severe crash. Everyone on board must pass an Initiative test or take a wound. Armour saves apply as normal.
6. Destroyed. D6" diameter explosion, at S2+D3

SHOOTING AT MODELS ON VEHICLES
Models in a vehicle or mounted on one are in hard cover at all times.
You need actual line of sight to be able to hit them.
Models in an enclosed crew space are not visible and may not be targeted.

BOARDING OR DISEMBARKING
Models may move or run onto or off a stationary vehicle as if it were a piece of terrain.
To get on or off a moving vehicle, take an Initiative test.
If failed, the figure is placed off the vehicle at a random point and is pinned.
Players must declare during their movement phase if the vehicle is moving or if it has come to a halt.
Characters may not charge onto or off a vehicle. If the vehicle has the assault vehicle upgrade then mounted characters may make a charge move off it.

VEHICLE and COMBAT
Vehicles cannot be locked in combat and may move away without restriction in the movement phase.

ATTACKING A VEHICLE
A vehicle may be charged as normal and attacked.
Roll to attack vehicles as normal.
Vehicles count as WS 1 with 1 attack. Resolve hits at S equal to toughness.

ATTACKING SOMEONE ON FOOT FROM A VEHICLE
Characters mounted on a vehicle may attack any one on foot that the vehicle is touching in the Combat phase. Models may not charge off a vehicle unless it has the Assault Vehicle upgrade.

ATTACKING SOMEONE ON BOARD A VEHICLE WHILE THE ATTACKER IS ON FOOT
A character on foot may charge a vehicle and attack the mounted models. This must be declared as normal. Characters may not simple charge onto a vehicle. If they wish to board then they must do this as part of a move or run action and cannot do it as a charge.

The player who controls the vehicle may elect which models fight back. This must be at least one model. So work out the charge as normal, then the vehicle controlling player generally indicates who is fighting whom. Models in an enclosed crew space may not be attacked unless the controlling player wishes them to fight back. In the case of no viable targets the attacker may strike the vehicle.

ATTACKING SOMEONE ON BOARD A VEHICLE WHILE THE ATTACKER IS MOUNTED ON ANOTHER VEHICLE
This is a general mishmash of the above rules. A model may attack the crew of any vehicle their vehicle is touching. The player controlling the target model nominates who fights back.

ATTACKING ENEMY MODELS ON THE SAME VEHICLE
If a character has previously boarded a vehicle then they may charge and attack models on board as if the vehicle were a piece of terrain.
Models in an enclosed crew space are not visible and may not be attacked.

RAMMING OTHER VEHICLES
Declare your Ram at the start of the turn.
The target driver may attempt to dodge the ram.
To dodge a ram attempt roll equal or under the driver's Initiative.
Target vehicle will take D6 Damage, or 2D6 is the vehicle has a ram.
The Rammer takes 1 Damage.

RUNNING OVER PEDESTRIANS
Declare your Ram at the start of the turn.
Characters may attempt a dodge.
To dodge a run-over attempt roll equal or under Initiative.
If they fail to dodge roll a dice. On the roll of a 6 the model takes 1 wound, although they may take their armour roll.
If roll 1-5 then they are pinned.
If the vehicle doing the running over has a ram then they wound on a 4+ rather than a 6.

DESTROYED VEHICLES
Uninsured vehicles are surprisingly rare in Helsreach. A vehicle that is destroyed can be respawned at the vehicle dealers in Helsreach market, or at the Outlaw Trading post as appropriate.

great! So, I'll bring Ork Freebooterz band:)

and another question: is is ok if I use Gorkamorka gang creation rules? the exchange rate between teef to credits is more or less 1 to 10, so it would be easy to do this.

I checked Shadow Wars Orks, and well... they look little bit overpowered...

Yes, Im fine with using Grokamorka, but dont forget the vehicle rules wont be compatible with the ones we will be using on the day, but anyway you get free vehicles in our game.

The Shadow Wars Orks dont get the 20 "upgrade points" for this game, so it makes them less good potentially.

I wonder though if you might have more fun with orks from the inquisimunda rule set? Especially if you are doing freebooters, as you can mix up some other bits and bobs, such as robots, cyborks etc.

Essentially, the idea is to bring a fun gang to game with, and the rule of cool is very much in place.

Ever since I was asked to co host the Helsreach table I have been a little worried that I would not have enough buildings to cover a 8 X 4 foot table, which will make up the town side of Helsreach.

So I set up my 4 X 3 board and started to pile out my collection of township terrain.

First table

20180302_160354.jpg

20180302_095009.jpg

20180302_095017.jpg

20180302_095022.jpg

20180302_160503.jpg

Second table

20180302_160540.jpg

20180302_103214.jpg

20180302_103220.jpg

20180302_160622.jpg

20180302_103237.jpg

20180302_160655.jpg

Table 3

20180302_160725.jpg

20180302_110139.jpg

20180302_110144.jpg

20180302_110152.jpg

20180302_110157.jpg

20180302_110204.jpg

20180302_110209.jpg

20180302_110216.jpg

20180302_110225.jpg

20180302_110234.jpg

The model density is high on these tables and I will have to space them out so vehicles can move about the table. With the Terrain Curtis will bring I can safely say there is enough to fill one table. Some bits need a little tlc, not surprising as some of these models are over 12 years old. Helsreach will have a shanty, industrial zone and the commercial zone for your warbands to fight over. Maybe some walkways would be a good addition to the table?

Beyond the wall/gate will be the wastelands. I will be bringing a few bits to break the wastelands up.

ramshackle_curtis":171hm6mv said:
I wonder though if you might have more fun with orks from the inquisimunda rule set? Especially if you are doing freebooters, as you can mix up some other bits and bobs, such as robots, cyborks etc.

Essentially, the idea is to bring a fun gang to game with, and the rule of cool is very much in place.

I'll take a look at Inquisimunda for sure:)

Leromides

I've almost finished painting up a shadow war emperor's children force I would love to use if I can borrow a suitably sexy vehicle for them to cruise around in?

As you are bringing a shadow wars gang you may not have your own assigned vehicle, as you cant take any of the 20 "perk points". In comparison, the shadow wars quads seem to be about twice as powerful as a normal gang, which is one of the main reasons I added the perks points system (as well as to add some colour to the game ;) )

However, there will be many basic vehicles on the map for you to requisition so dont worry about missing the vehicle fun or being left behind! You just cant rock up with an APC. Last year anyone who showed up with a rhino had a massive advantage!

Genghis

Hi, I'm new to this forum & BOYL, but hoping to attend this year, and this game has caught my eye.

I'm guessing from the broad spread of options that you're not too strict on the structure of the gangs? I'm thinking my Space Mobsters are probably the most apt for this, but I'd probably need to tinker a bit with the Inquisimunda gang selection to fit what I've got. As long as it's all fluffy and not deliberately beardy, am I okay with a bit of straying from the formal lists? Also, in vehicle terms, I've got a car, and have been considering getting the Blight Wheel truck that I think would also work - would a car and a truck be about right for vehicles?

Back