Beware The Jabberwock

Hello all,
New to this forum but coming to BOYL17 where I hope to meet you all for the first time.
I would like to run a game for people where small bands of heroes and their retinues venture into the depths of the forests to either slay, capture or worship a fearsome Jabberwock!
Using skirmishing rules from WHFB3 along with some house rules that will be explained during set-up, anyone is more than welcome to join in.
I don't know how booking tables works at this event but all I need is a table that will fit a 4x4 layout - I'll bring all necessary terrain, miniatures for the scenario and a battlemat to play on.
Hope some of you are interested.

Orfeo

Blue in VT

Sounds like a fun game! Sadly I won't make it across the pond to BOYL... :cry:

But be forewarned! the Jabberwock is a vicious opponent....and shown in these images of the last game I played. My hero charged into the woods full of confidence...

....the Jabberwock quickly dispatches this overly cocky Bret... :lol:

Cheers,

Blue

Attachments

• Photo Feb 19, 5 14 48 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 19, 5 14 48 PM.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 3,544
  • Photo Feb 19, 5 17 18 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 19, 5 17 18 PM.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 3,544

Fimm McCool

Hi Orfeo,

If this game is still going ahead would you be interested in running it in the woods surrounding Heldenhofen (see BOYL 2017: A Tale of Two Cities)? Would-be adventurers heading out of town in search of the beast which has been plaguing trade caravans in and out of the city. Whispered rumours in the dockside taverns of a great reward in exchange for the head of the beast, renown to be won, that kind of thing.

Hello Fimm,
Yes, that would be excellent. I was starting to worry about getting all of the terrain finished in time. Are there any thematic considerations I should take into account when basing or is my plan for dark forest fine?

Fimm McCool

Dark forest sounds great. Whatever you want to do we will incorporate. I have plenty of ancient woodland terrain.

Hi Orfeo,
What day are you running this and is it morning afternoon etc?
Also what would constitute a hero and retinue? Does it matter if our heroes are chaos/evil antihero types? :twisted:
cheers
John

Hello kilgore,
I'll be running this now as a smaller 'side-quest' on the larger Heldenhofen board that Fimm McCool is running.I believe that it will be held on Saturday and Sunday, and it should be available whenever there are enough people who want to adventure into the woods to kill a Jabberwock (permitting I'm there and not playing in another game). A Hero and retinue can be whatever you like, I'd probably recommend one champion and 3-10 henchmen. Chaotic antiheroes are more than welcome, the Jabberwock is a beast of chaos after all.

Harry

Also interested in joining in.
Can bring a few stands of trees to add to your wood.
How many 'men' do you need in a Monster hunting band?

More trees would be appreciated, the tulgier the better.
As for how many 'men', hmm. The Jabberwock is a variable creature and I'll be rolling on the chaotic attribute table for him as well. He could end up being very dangerous, he could end up enormously fat, atrophied, cowardly and smelly.
I'd say build for theme rather than efficacy, so I'm not putting any hard limits on anything.

lenihan

I'm very keen to bring a little warband for this! Please count me in! If there's room for me will get to thinking about a theme for my 'hero' and henchmen straight away.

mubo

Lovely idea for a short game this.

I'd like to commit the ogre mercenary Uzrag Elfeater and his band of 3 henchmen to defeat the monstrous jabberwock.

May I present Cher the Ever Young

Originally from a small island in the black gulf Cher likes making new friends among the forces of darkness; midnight jaunts in ancient crypts and long baths in the blood of virgin maidens to retain her youth and beauty. She’s a Sagittarius.

Turns out she needs a quart of jabberwocky blood for a particularly nasty ritual. With her are her faithful familiar ‘mittens’ and some disposable meat-shields, ah, loyal henchmen and women.

Excuse the lousy photo - camera-phone :( If you need me to I can also bring the trees :grin:

They look very nice indeed kilgore, the jabberwock better hope he has more than a quart of blood to spare.

I got the forest and the Jabberwock finished up, just need to make the cave piece now.

uor4tJa.jpg

pkVuneX.jpg

sY6jjm9.jpg

The warbands all fought amongst themselves before the Jabberwock even came out of his cave. When the Mother Jabberwock turned up as well, everything ended in bloody chaos. One Bretonnian Knight survived, if I remember correctly, but I think everyone else died to the last man.

Back