Painted Historical Armour

Of some interest to Empire & Bretonnia players in particular. Please move if it is in the wrong forum:

olofsgillet_001.jpg

0d58a2398c163258512378120c370700.jpg

90ef21fc4b6e82877e4ec60bf221e246.jpg

5a4ab8a553ace93e781aee6ab1246fd0.jpg

fic1866.1-2armor-front-view_copy1.jpg

14833532365_4b3f74c5b4_b.jpg

tumblr_nbasy2IZz21rgfuxjo2_1280.png

Scalene

Astonishing. That's just not how I thought historical armour looked - I assumed their paints wouldn't be good enough to stick well on metal. I wonder how common this sort of paint job was? From what I can make out from the museum labels this is late 15th century, so definitely WFB relevant.

Jeff McC

I'd only ever seen one of these before (the most beat up one) and had kind of assumed it had been a one off - really exciting to see some more. Thanks for posting!!

b_v

This practice wasn't limited to the late middle ages. For example Spanish knights of the Reconquista and Alexander's phalangites used to paint their armour or helmets.

Anonymous

Niibl":1h8rs483 said:
Thanks for posting this. Doesn't No.4 look like it was painted by John Blanche?
:lol: :lol:
I have painted ancients helmets as though they have been painted. :?
I didn't know that it was happening in later periods.
Thanks for posting.

symphonicpoet

I suppose it only makes sense. Rust is quite a bit softer than steel, so you'd want to keep your armor from rusting. And I guess that means you can constantly coat the stuff in a fine layer of oil or wax . . . or you can paint it. (Or better yet, both. You can never be too careful avoiding the steel rot. I have a car whose undercarriage makes it quite obvious steel and lead have some things in common. Here's to hoping it won't spread to other maxiatures stored in the same case.) Nice pictures. :) Good catch. And yes, I suspect the artist who painted the fourth must have seen Blanche's work, or someone influenced by him . . . or something similar to that somehow.

The hat with flames on is the best one. Also, these paint jobs look like they were done by a bit of a crap painter, which makes a realistic approach so much easier!

symphonicpoet

I intentionally make my ork checks slightly uneven for just that reason. Really try to make my Imperial stuff tidy, though. Maybe that's a mistake. :grin:

Thanks for the sharing of insights and sightings, folks, and particularly that classy helmet, Man of Mann! As for poor armour paintjobs:

"You're unsteady on the freehand."
"No! It's just authentic!"

Back