Thrugg Bullneck and the Battle for the Farm

apologist

I've posted this on the Facebook page – hope it's alright to bring over here, too, for anyone not on 'social' media. In short, a mate of mine and I are working on forces for the Rogue Trader 'Battle for the Farm' and 'Battle for Jadeberry Hill' scenarios. I'm taking Bullneck's orks. In traditional style, I've started by painting up a load of models that don't appear in the game – just couldn't resist painting these cool little grots. Hopefully they'll serve very nicely as wound markers, or just to clutter up the photos :)

While not all the miniatures are strictly Oldhammer, I hope I'll be forgiven for the mix of 'proppa oldhammer' Kev Adams gretchin sculpts alongside more modern Brian Nelson ones. As you'll see from Thrugg Bullneck here, I'm converting the modern ork models to get them back to a Rogue Trader-style aesthetic.

b.JPG

I'd love to hear what you think, and if you have any thoughts or advice on the modelling and painting of the boyz themselves. For example, I've tried to match my Thrugg conversion to the appropriate original model, and will be doing the same for Hruk – but as for Ulruk of Mergabenurga, shall I use the third personality figure from the Ork Raiders box as inspiration, or go off-piste and try and get some more Elric influence in?

SImilarly, what are the things that strike you as most characteristic of the RT-era ork models? There's the general 'WWII bad guy vibe', but the quilted jackets and goggles are the sort of thing I'm thinking of specifically, as those are the things I can add with a bit of conversion and sculpting.

Finally, are there any particular sculpts that you'd like to see re-imagined for this project?

Orjetax

I constantly miss things on Facebook, so I think it’s great for this to be posted here.

Facebook is nice for sharing a picture or two, but with an ongoing project, the forum is just so much better.

The nice thing about using a modern space ork is how it further increases the contrast with the weedy gretchin.

In my view, there’s a “biker” theme running through the RT orks. A theme that incorporates some of the WWI type helmets, things like the sunglasses, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fimm McCool

Looks cool. I'd suggest sticking this in the WIP or Showcase section as that's where project-based stuff usually ends up.

apologist

Thanks both; I've set up a topic in the WIP forum here.

The nice thing about using a modern space ork is how it further increases the contrast with the weedy gretchin.
Yeah, the scale creep of the orks goes a long way to making the imagery more reminiscent of Paul Bonner's seminal stuff, I think :)

Orjetax

Heh

I read the forum on the app most of the time so it all looks the same to me no matter what section it’s put in.

I look forward to following the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back