Very cheap sculpting putty?

Howdy!

A friend of mine, known online as Johan von Elak, is going to build his own leech Greater Daemon. Although most of the bulk will be filled out with plastic of various sorts (cap bottles and the like, with lots of air pockets and strong material), he still expect the sculpting putty layer to be thick in the centimetres at places.

While he plans to buy a lot of green stuff from GSW, it would be nice if the actual filler material was of a cheaper kind, with a green stuff layer on top for surface details and smoothness.

So, ladies and gentlemen, do you have a good tip for a very cheap sculpting putty that does not require oven baking, for use en masse as filler material?

Cheers

smiler

Basic milliput is much cheaper than greenstuff and is good for rough sculpting and padding out. Save the greenstuff for the finer details!
30578a453cd7b46bb69042aba78f5fc1.jpg

Scalene

I reckon you could get away with polymer clay if you bake it gently. The plastic in the middle would be temporarily softened but I doubt it would be a problem. Could also use a more heat resistant core, eg wood and cardboard.

Berkut666

I second milliput. Far more cost effective. You also get a superfine white version that is supposed to be better for detailed work but I have never used it.

The standard stuff has worked fine for me, especially when properly sanded/filed down

I'll add a tip from Chaos Dwarfs Online in case anyone else also find it useful:

Fuggit Khan said:
Plaster is good, mixed with shredded newspaper. Incredibly tough, can be carved or filed to shape.
Lightweight and cheap

Coat it with super glue afterwards to bind everything together, and then cover with a green stuff layer. For real bulk filling.

Scalene

Plaster is a great idea. I once filled a lightweight plastic vehicle cavity so it could withstand pressure when making mould from it

Fimm McCool

If it's not going anywhere near a vulcanizer you can use a trick that's common in sculpting concept creatures and maquettes for film work. Wrap aluminium foil around the armature and ress it to shape. You can then pack putty (like milliput) around it to give a firm base but cuts down on weight and putty consumption.

Back