BLOOD Magic for Beginners

Thantsants

Now I know it wasn't in the basic list of things to do for our basic BLOOD rules but I felt that we needed a bit of magic even in the basic game. :)

Here's my BLOODied up version so far - you'll notice I've only done Power 1 spells and only a coupe of Power 2 spells. I found I was picking spells of a battlefield variety that I thought involved fairly basic magical powers but wanted to know what you lot thought would be important to have as a core of magical powers that could be used by wizards and sorceresses, good or evil. For example, I hummed and hahed over putting spells of a necromantic, demonic or illusory nature in as well but thought they might be better included in a later and more detailed advance BLOOD Arcanery supplement?

Anyway - here's the BLOOD version with a few slight changes -

Basic BLOOD Magic

Magic Users
There are four levels of ascendancy that Magic users can achieve.

Ascendacy Rank Sorcery Points Spell Power
1 Initiate 10 or 5+2D6 1
2 Adept 20 or 10+3D6 1 and 2
3 Mage 30 or 20+3D6 1, 2 and 3
4 Archmage 40 or 30+3D6 1, 2,3 and 4

Magic Users may select 3 spells at each power they are master of. For example an Initiate has an Ascendancy of 1 so may choose 3 Power 1 spells. A Mage has an Ascendancy of 3 so can choose 3 spells each at Power 1, 2 and 3, but none at Power 4.

Sorcery points may be recovered by remaining inactive. For each turn that a Magic User remains inactive 1 Sorcery Point is recovered. For each additional turn spent inactive, an additional Sorcery point is recovered. E.g. 1 point on the first turn, 2 points on the second turn, etc.

Casting Spells
All spells cost a certain number of Sorcery points to cast. If a Magic User has a minimum of 12 Sorcery points then the spell is cast automatically. If the Magic User has less than 12 Sorcery points then a Magic Test must be taken. 2D6 are rolled and if the result is less than or equal to the Magic User’s Sorcery points then the spell is cast. If the roll exceeds the Magic User’s Sorcery points then the spell is unsuccessful. Sorcery points are deducted regardless of whether the spell was successfully cast.

Once a Magic User’s Sorcery points drops below his Mind level the test changes slightly. Now the target score to roll under or equal to on 2D6 becomes the Magic User’s Mind score. For example an Adept with a Mind level of 9 must roll under or equal to 9 on 2D6 to cast a spell, once his or her Sorcery points drop below 9.

Casting Limitations
There are instances when a Magic User may not be able to cast a spell at all:
Magic Users who are fleeing
Magic Users who have suffered 1 or more wounds in hand to hand combat
Magic Users who are affected by the psychology of the unit they are attached to, for example if the unit is fleeing, pursuing, or suffering from Dread, Alarm, or other debilitating psychological effects.
Spells may be cast out of turn in close combat (remember that the Magic User may not cast again in the Magic Phase), however, if the Magic User is not in the front rank, the effects of the spell will also affect the unit he or she is in.

Magical Resistance
Even if a spell is cast successfully it may or may not have the desired effect. Soldiers of strong mind and stout hearts can resist magic cast at them and this is represented by Magical Resistance. To see whether a spell is effective or not the target unit or character must make a Magical Resistance test by rolling 2D6 against their Spirit level. If the number rolled is less than or equal to the Spirit level then the spell has no effect.

Magical Resistance only applies to spells that directly affect a unit or character. Magical missiles such as fireballs are not subject to the rule - the Magic Resistance does not apply.

Magic Users may increase their Magical Resistance by using Sorcery Points. For each Sorcery point used add 1 to the Magic User’s Spirit level for that Magical Resistance test only. If another spell is cast against the Magic User further Sorcery points must be used if the player wishes to augment their Magical Resistance again.

Magic Users may also augment their attack by reinforcing their spell with additional Sorcery points in the same way. The player must declare how many Sorcery points they wish to add before the Magical Resistance test is made. Each Sorcery point added reduces the target’s Spirit level by 1.

Magical creatures like Demons and Elementals have no magical resistance and must use Sorcery points to protect themselves. Undead and ethereal creatures are similarly affected, although if a Necromancer is within 60cm he or she may use their Sorcery points to protect them.

Basic BLOOD Spells

Magic comes in many guises and the different branches of Sorcery will be covered in more detail in later supplements. To get you started with Basic Battlefield magic is a selection of spells available to all races. The effects and nature of the spells described here are deliberately generic so that players can add their own detail. If you don’t think Magic Missile is a little vanilla for your Dark Elf sorceress then rename it Wytchfire, although the basic damage and targeting rules will remain the same.

Power 1 Spells

Zone of Protection
Sorcery Points 1
Target Cast on self
The zone confers a saving throw of +1 to the Magic User. It remains until it is dispelled by the User. If the zone is hit by a magic weapon or hostile spell it absorbs the energy and prevents any damage to the user. It is however destroyed in the process.
Heal
Sorcery Points 1
Target Self or model in base contact
This spell restores 1 wound to whomever is touched by the Magic User. The spell will not work on those who have suffered more than one wound that turn or who are already dead. If the spell should fail then 1 wound is inflicted on the target!

Magic Missile
Sorcery points 1 per missile
Target Enemy models within 60cm and line of sight
The Magic User throws a magic missile or missiles at the target, causing D3 Force 3 hits. As the missiles are incandescent, flammable targets receive Force 4 hits and fire damage is recorded as normal. If multiple missiles are used they must all be cast at the same target. Target models do not make a Magical Resistance test or Armour saving throw. A Magic User may throw as many missiles as they have Ascendancy levels.

Fist of Power
Sorcery Points 2
Target Self
This spell increases the Magic User’s Combat Ability. Destructive Capability is doubled and blows are landed with Force 5. The spell is dispelled should the Magic User be wounded.

Mind Games
Sorcery Points 2
The Magic User may select which type of psychology he or she wishes to affect:
Rivalry - The target makes a magical resistance test as normal. If it is failed the target becomes subject to Rivalry with all other friendly units. This spell may be cast in secret with the GM.
Discipline - The target makes a magical resistance test as normal. If it is failed the target suffers a -1 penalty to their Discipline. This may only be targeted at a unit once.
Alternatively the Magic User may wish to cast this spell on friendly units to give a +1 bonus to Discipline.

Arcane Wind
Sorcery Points 2 (+1 for each turn it is maintained)
The Magic User sends forth a great gust of wind which stops the target from moving forward or firing that turn and for as long as the spell is maintained - there is no magical resistance test. Target units may move backwards as normal and may attempt to move forwards by taking rolling under their strength on a D10 - movement is then at ½ rate for that turn.
Anything moving into the path of the wind is also affected. If the GM decides it is large enough then it may block the wind from the original target, thus freeing it.
If models are engaged in hand to hand combat in the path of the wind then all models’ strengths are halved and rounded down.

Power 2 Spells

Zone of Magical Shielding
Sorcery Points 1
Target Self
This spell gives the Magic User a +2 saving throw and last until another spell is cast or the zone is dispelled by hostile magic or magic weapon.

Enhanced Magic Missile
Sorcery Points 1 per missile thrown
This is a more powerful version of the Magic Missile. The Magic missile causes D3 Force 4 hits. As the missiles are incandescent, flammable targets receive Force 5 hits and fire damage is recorded as normal. If the target is afraid of fire then an Alarm! test must be taken. If multiple missiles are used they must all be cast at the same target. Target models do not make a Magical Resistance test or Armour saving throw. A Magic User may throw as many missiles as they have Ascendancy levels.

Affect Psychology
Sorcery Points 2
Target models within 60cm and line of sight
The Magic User may select which type of psychology he or she wishes to affect:
Enmity - The target makes a magical resistance test as normal. If it is failed the target becomes subject to Enmity with a friendly unit of the caster’s choice for the rest of the battle. Creatures not subject to psychology are immune.
Bloodlust - The target makes a magical resistance test as normal. If it is failed the target enters into Bloodlust for the rest of the battle. Creatures not subject to psychology are immune.
Alarm! - The target makes a magical resistance test as normal. If it is failed the target must make an immediate Alarm! test. Creatures not subject to psychology are immune.
Regroup - The target makes a magical resistance test as normal. If it is failed the target automatically stops fleeing and regroups.

Erny

A few beginning spells in a rough first draft won’t hurt and these look like they would be fine. We probably ought to oook at where we stand with everything because I guess we are almost there for a basic rule set.

Thantsants

Cheers Erny - how about adding the rules bit to the basic rules for BLOOD for the fanzine (or are we releasing a separate pdf for the rules?) and producing a separate pdf with a greater range of spells as a supplement - kinda like 2nd ed. with the separate books.

Any other suggestions for spells or are we happy with cloning 3rd ed stuff or want a blend with 2nd ed. (or 1st ed. which I'm sadly ignorant of), which might turn into a humongous list. Or would folks like new DIY spells which are very generic - freeze unit/opponent, maically move unit/character, mental duel, manipulate rock/water/plants, etc? Don't mind beavering away at this - quite fun. :grin:

Could do with finishing of Power 2 and adding Power 3 and 4 spells for the basic BLOOD magic rules so would appreciate your thoughts.

Erny

I think just a very few spells from the first couple of levels would be fine for a rough draft to be published in the fanzine. We could then do a proper set for a more worked pdf release in the future.

We should keep to the original type of spells to maintain the option to use blood to write stuff compatible with original material. Nothing to say home brew magic spell lists cannot be encouraged and published though.

Thantsants

Fair enough - I agree with keeping to the original source material, just wondered if anyine had any other genius ideas/house rules.

At the moment I have included for Power 1:
Protection - saving throw modifier
Heal - gives back life points
Magic Missile - ranged offensive capability
Fist of Power - melee offensive capability
Mind Games - negative/positive affect on psychology
Arcane Wind - impede movement

Any glaring omissions or things that shouldn't be there for a core list of basic spells?

Everyone happy if I use that as a template for each Power level?

Thantsants

Right done and dusted - changed plan in the end. Instead of just having more powerful versions of each spell I ended up choosing a selection of Battle Magic for each Power level. As Magic Users get to take a certain number of spells from each level it seemed a little restricting to have the same basic types at each level.

Might have got carried away but see what you think - :grin:

Basic BLOOD Magic

Zhu Bajie

Yeah! Think that was a change in the right direction :)

Quick thought / question, are all ranges 30cm or 60cm? could using feet as a standard unit for magic work? ie. 1' or 2'?

Thantsants

Yup - seems to be one or the other depending on the spell.

I'd personally prefer the original inches for range but as cm had been mentioned thought I'd best stick to that.

Alternatively we could make up two different measuring templates for short and long range spells - along with various other area effect templates we could do with, if any nice illustrators who have a bit of spare time are up for it? :grin:

Back