Big April Challenge - '18

My Big April challenge is heading into it's third year. I realize this hasn't exactly caught on as much as I was hoping (paint some giants! post some photos! everybody loves giants! ;) ) but I'm going to keep up the effort as much as I am able! :grin:

So with Big April coming up, I'm looking forward to...

20180331_115626.jpg

20180331_115647.jpg

Giants! (And an ogre.) A bit ambitious, and slightly out of focus it seems. First will be finishing the paint on the Warploque giant. While that's going on, I will prep the other two -- from Heresy and Otherworld.

IF, by some miracle that all gets done, I have more in mind. I would still REALLY like to sculpt my own giant. Given the timing, that's been on my mind again and I think I've got a decent picture in my head of that I want to do. Also, I've got some more giants here, still waiting to be painted. I have several of the Reaper Bones giants from their last KS. These are a bit larger than the older sculpts, and in fact one is a resculpt of one I've previously painted.

I've also got the extra heads from the Otherworld giant. The web site says to select one, but they ended up sending all three. I could try to magnetize them so they're swapable. Or maybe I can work out a way to get an extra giant out of the deal...

20180331_115845.jpg

...oooooor maybe not. :lol:

Getting trampled with those shoes should do some serious damage. And sexiest legs on a giant ever :lol:

I will try to join in with a giant.

Golgfag1

After failing miserably to complete my Grenadier War Giant to first year you ran with this, I now find myself with no 'big' figures to paint :oops: , so all will be depending upon my current E-bay bids to settle - if, I have anything to attempt this year - time will tell. :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

UrchinJoe

Well I for one have been looking forward to April and seeing more giants, even if I don't get much done myself - I seem to be have been too busy to paint much since around this time last year.

So that's where I'll pick up. I've slapped some base coats onto my Mierce cyclops, and started experimenting with washes, blending and lots of drybrushing on the base (which is 80mm wide, for scale). He needs at least one more layer of base coat over pretty much his whole body, 'cos the ochre doesn't really cover the black undercoat. I'm tempted to leave the soil quite dark on the base and glue on lots of lighter greenery, but I'm not fully decided yet.

I've also started assembling the Great Imperial Dragon - I know he's not a giant, but he's pretty big.

dragon_cyclops.jpg

cyclops_back.jpg

If I somehow finish either of these I'll get started on my Miece Jotun, seen here relaxing after a wash in warm soapy water, alongside some freshly stripped Chaos Dwarfs that I picked up for next to nothing in my local junk-shop on Saturday. The Jotun's fists are bigger than the dwarfs, although they're almost the worst possible mini to use for scaling a giant.

jotun_pieces.jpg

:shock: Awesome painting, but a bit more of that giant than I needed to see. :lol:

I do like those Mierce giants. Unfortunately they've been out of my price range...

Golgfag1":1ws8ln4o said:
After failing miserably to complete my Grenadier War Giant to first year you ran with this, I now find myself with no 'big' figures to paint

Did you finish that one, though? (If so, post it here anyway!) That's one of two Grenadier giants that I'd really like to add to my own collection.

So, I painted the ogre, which isn't exactly in my own theme. So if you want to see the pic, check out the Showroom. I've had a little time to work on the Warploque giant. One pic, but go to the blog to see more, in the best entry title I think I've ever come up with... Warploque Drunk Walter Skank Jerk Matthau

wlg18-01.jpg

Golgfag1

OK, my giant has arrived, only it's no giant - following a small amount of brass rubbing and use of a magnifying glass - I found it's a figurine produced by Phoenix model developments ltd, female warrior with snake! I'll still paint it up as it's of a suitable size, but I can't see it getting a run out over a wargames table :lol: :lol: . :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• Giantess.jpg
    Giantess.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 2,544

Golgfag1

Stormbringer":35jung9m said:
She's awesome; you should use her as an Avatar of Rigg!

I'm certainly considering that option or at least a giantess for my Amazons, I'm more concerned with what type of insignia to paint on her stockings! :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

I agree, would work well with the old amazons. Looking forward to seeing that painted.

Slowly painting Walter's loot. (Yes, that will be his name - or some variation of it.) He's got a pig, goat, goose, maiden, sausages, and a bunch of other little details...

20180413_191650%2B%25281%2529.jpg

inchmurrin

Very terrifying and definitely BIG.

I decided not to wait for a head for my C28 as he needed a pin in his right arm as well, actually a lot of it was plain missing. So with the addition of a plastic ogre head here he is as wip.

989561381_o.jpg

989561366_o.jpg

As always comments and criticism encouraged. On with the painting

Golgfag1

OK, if we're doing progress shots, here's my giantess - I'm adapting an Amazonian headdress to act the part of the collar. Still a lot to do, as thus far it's mostly base coats, but I should have this one finished by the end of the month. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• Giantess 1.jpg
    Giantess 1.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 3,050

Golgfag1

Thanks for the comments guys,

I'm a bit disappointed myself - the skin tones aren't really defining the muscle as much as I'd like, I'm hoping the next couple of applications with gradually lighter colours will bring it to where it'll look better, also, the stocking-ed leg is far brighter at the moment, because my plan is to add some type of patterning/scroll work with darker colours, which will stand-out against the yellow beneath, thus toning down the yellow - time will tell. Any way, here's the next progression shot for your perusal and delectation. :lol:

Paul/Golgfag1

Attachments

• giantess6.JPG
    giantess6.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 3,015

Ketil Trout

A mighty Amazonian giantess.

I hope to get this finished, and a few others

Attachments

• 6D571DEA-094B-44D4-BEEF-1A9B976C579A.jpeg
    6D571DEA-094B-44D4-BEEF-1A9B976C579A.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 3,009
Golfag1":1pmqx0yp said:
some type of patterning/scroll work with darker colours

I was thinking it would look good to have some kind of Aztec snake design winding around her leg, OR you could have some kind of epic mural design depicting the history of the Amazons. Might be slightly harder to paint, though... ;)

Golgfag1

Stormbringer":b92tdf5q said:
Golfag1":b92tdf5q said:
some type of patterning/scroll work with darker colours

I was thinking it would look good to have some kind of Aztec snake design winding around her leg, OR you could have some kind of epic mural design depicting the history of the Amazons. Might be slightly harder to paint, though... ;)

I can imagine the concept, however, the reality will be a simple multi-coloured pattern, in various designs, circling the leg. :grin:

Paul/Golgfag1

Back