Speed painting challenge

Blue in VT

Looks Great Cap! I really like those Marauder Space Orks and the lively green you chose for his skin tone makes the best of the sculpt.

Cheers,

Blue

Mostyn

Great job on that ork. The skin looks very well done for such a small amount of time.

Although I hope when you say it 'all made sense' you're referring to the speed painting challenge and not MC Hammer pants. Backwards baggy trousers will always remain wrong on many, many levels...

Mostyn":23bs2f06 said:
Great job on that ork. The skin looks very well done for such a small amount of time.

Although I hope when you say it 'all made sense' you're referring to the speed painting challenge and not MC Hammer pants. Backwards baggy trousers will always remain wrong on many, many levels...

The skin was just your basic warboss green, two coats of thin green wash, then highlight with warboss green, adding small amounts of yellow each successive highlight for maybe three layers, aiming for the highest points to give that 'zenithal' sort of effect. And you're done :)

As for the hammerpants they will never stop being relevant to today's society.

Asslessman

Well done Captain ! I have to say you were the sparkle that ignited my motivation for this so I gave it a go with a cyber samourai donated by Cheetor/Sho3box :

DSC00693.JPG

Finished in exactly 60 minutes, I really thought I would snap when at the very end it took me 20 seconds to find my mithril silver for the final highlights :shock:
Details about that challenge on LE BLOGUE

Niibl

You guys make me weep. So much greatness in just one hour. Maybe I will give it a try too today, but I doubt I can compete.

Asslessman

Honestly, I think the 1 hour limit is way too small, 2 hours would be good to do something quick but with enough details and care. I think I could have made a completely different looking model in 2 hours, I would have used a smaller brush and I would have blended the highlights better (or maybe I just need to learn how to blend them well enough).
Anyway, considering the level some people reach in an hour (or under like Colin), I realise there's stil plenty of room for improvment...

Mostyn

I think you're being way too critical of the end product, as the ninja looks flippin' great (and the back is even better). Sure, when looked at in a close up photo you'll inevitability see areas you'd like to improve (not that I can) but on the tabletop they're likely to look identical to your very high 'normal' standard.

If I've learnt anything from doing this it was that I spend too long painting single figures and that an hour is probably enough to get that '80%' finish; I'd normally tinker around for another couple of hours to get to 95%. Net result, a load of half finished projects.

I did chuckle at the toilet advice. I think the challenge rules should at least allow the clock to be stopped for a call of nature (or act of god!).

Asslessman

I see your point and totally agree with the efficiency thing of getting to the 80% point to finish things. The only thing is I need to conciliate the way I like to paint and the way I want my models to look ^^.

I wouldn't agree toilet pauses as they could be a way to get the stress off :ugeek: this has to be a commitment...

Do you guys include basing in your time? Strictly speaking its not painting unless you're painting the base. I think I'm going to try but with maybe mostly a mono- base colour model for the body aka the Horrors earth golem or HQ skeleton but would that be cheating. I think even then I'll struggle! I guess washes can really sabotage your efforts given the drying time?

Asslessman

There are no strict rules but the first examples didn't include the base. Washes are fine as lo,g as you have a hairdryer at hand ;)

snyggejygge

My 1 hour challenge:

Took me about 50 mins in total before varnish, used the 3 stage method descibed in Foundry Paintbook I had, added a Quick Devlan Mud wash & then Varnished after it had dried, quite pleased with the result considering the time.

Golgfag1

As previously posted elsewhere, here's my latest attempt at a one hour painted job - lot's of dry brushing with limited palate. All done well within the hour with just the base to do :grin:

Enjoy

Paul / Golgfag1

Attachments

• Demon 'C' series.JPG
    Demon 'C' series.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,791
  • Demon 'C' series2.JPG
    Demon 'C' series2.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 2,791
  • Demon 'C' series3.JPG
    Demon 'C' series3.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,791
  • Demon 'C' series4.JPG
    Demon 'C' series4.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,791

Niibl

Quite a classic miniature you picked here. And the paintjob is nicely different to those I have seen before.
I like it very much.

Asslessman

He looks great Paul ! I love that vibrant red and as Niibl, it's ot a scheme one would expect but it works wonders. How come you did not use the remaining time to base your model then by the way ? :grin:

Golgfag1

Thanks for the comments guys, as for not completing the base - I originally used superglue to stick the model to the plastic base, so when I had completed the painting (two basic colours, applied with very little care or attention until it came to the tooth & claw) I had the model proud of the plastic base (ugly), if, I'd simply painted the base and dipped it in flock, there'd have been a ridge around the model - so I applied resin and had to wait for it to dry, hence no base decoration, sorry.

Also all my basing material is currently in the garage and I tend to do basing in batches to get a consistent look across a warband / army. :grin:

Paul / Golgfag1

Back