Speed painting challenge

You can't get much more Oldhammer than Kev Adams, so here's a sculpt of Kev Adams, by Kev Adams.

Painted in just under 58 minutes.

Attachments

• 017 forum.jpg
    017 forum.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 3,306

Mostyn

I'll second that - a great job for 58 minutes very 'grunge' in colour and feel. I particularly like the rust effect on the mesk

Blue in VT

Brilliant work on that figure....I can almost smell that spliff from here! 8-)

I need to give this challenge another go soon as well...it really is fun.

Cheers,

Blue

Dooz

got those three prepped, based and primed

Skeleton for speed painting challenge, almost cheating. So to compensate I did three

Exactly one hour later the paints have not yet dried.

symphonicpoet

I started this after reading the initial post. So it is a timed project, and quick by my standards, but not under an hour.

I started timing from bear metal, so that doubtless added a little time. And there were lots of pauses for drying time between heavier coats and washes.

yAddUUh00RaPuYIOgk1QbJvPtVdGEtcF873p6Nh06dzdm-g_VCWwCFN_J_vVT11yEno4qhKA98EpJLALi72vTw_jG8kugBj409abS64_NBADT5Gmb2IDOhhID6ggMm1zTs9cY4qxz2vTrYZf7DYyJQF_maQTyb6t-UdzG6pvwxo--sb74CnNyWzuOb8XgLNUdS0ECTfaqpH7ixXXWyLgPuT6jHQqp50q5L5_xYQgLHeu0z9_EzPaN7Qdc6zdJHZKIORtuKII9mohjVkuLwlQxmHde6Kxy4scpdJshC9KhqCD1B_7J3muuUPQUllE_-teTFCiDcqnoR_Jh5rDCIna3o5myJszhrGlB1XnB52qhxdWdVpj229paHd3s3W-kg2LxFoz2kUM3qv1bdiY5GKzWEvaKl22zQkA4ArhugCH2xSGkC68JK43fVleiYB9m9J54OMJrwF7byN7aCyemQrG_BitKNBQQymv7jIccp2DNesvLqD1vUAgVMXeFzuE4_hw-I_8qU15cPIdY7SOBKLUUWY=w1194-h896-no

This was the state of the miniature after about a half hour's worth of active brush time. (Including the base coat, as I don't spray anything much smaller than a hill.) In addition to the black base I'd added a heavy coat of navy blue and blended in two shades of progressively lighter blue before hitting it with a sky blue highlight, inking in blue, and highlighting again selectively, all while wet. After this I allowed some additional drying time.

kmuAu-rw-qYHUz__GLGsLukyxrdAK4tcnmO1IwojMP_0InPEo2Pnq6Or9GjYBvH9CzX1xgEf0nkWXDSfubs4aOg3ldI80CQLTJmkXm_xFH_0pi2Xkk9JpZmdkiELd4pNN8_iLaxuXsKDBPKcv19D6LSEka32BCznDXCc-3-Vcugkh8WQzhf6ar0wR7JB1NkWReBrswpy7JmKqaDDuC3ajcxmQyTo-oWCUHOWmhOiTFwSPbq4XqfpXEr-yx4CZ7ma1fmllbSCFDAwCp0rjp2ehXILnupH6lqJg26tCj9rjPvhcqNce9-PIj72GGiTymg1MQQ11wk8A7RpVkWb20GoOYKLBsTlQ0-9i9gpIPWpQGSyrl8pjeFBmwIdFscASPQ5nBi13kEnbcC5eL8Gqck4eAQgiXEjZvDE_sgSS2dwWHkQZjr47J_L_-pc8Hq0_ZeKBXnghzXhKeHr1n80MgUy1bnG7oo9YIkjbHvWdlIvCG8s4h8qj7266IB7CI820HE2G-h-FBvoo9YPTojdFP4BwIM=w1194-h896-no

Of course additional drying time turned into minor family matters and dinner, so it was well and truly dry before I got started on the final details, which included some pink drybrushing and another blue ink on the extremities to create a slightly pinky purple effect. Then it was horns, teeth, and eyes. All of which took about forty minutes. Painting the base added in another two or three.

STNWCzjg1y4sw7Sf_bS2tmL8ZCSmqA6QOe8G7cb9oN5NawH8jeJMvTH-I7WyCSsgwjPIxkG5ms2BYuCUzDc4MWw2FqmzD97j8Qz73lMiDq8LK2x5UjrPm8-VdLHxM5_DTDEiIQb-XOpQD0VSluj6JvUI4gcUD9oEjEW1KI37Qa5F4ug4KAJo_9DIs_KRrgFQCq5Ur4WkN7OgIIykH9QUn3g0P3NKrFg6XAoqk5O9sca8DPSo-B2rGYMq6pegLUb-cklwLi0rwLGaGUpYr1XSJtX7vDCNs4cER0bQXGLLeBA3gbfJMQYbw__XmjUexdLmQx7jGLQbEDJ5GmfaCi6rWPRvqrZp4nUHSKOHny7YA_yDoE-SmhZJcmxQp_iubirPvYGVK2UYojIbeSBi2Mqa7t6-p0TrQxfdccMoViC90KKv9Rdc9b9uSvna6vsT98R4BFd96nPAchCSQpfii0Pqmbtv04Xz1HamkoCqrbGLvug4jj2U4UZaWQOHSEUbsBeTg6-Cg1VwE8tl-z68H-O-AEg=w1194-h896-no

So at just uned an hour and fifteen all that was left to do was varnish and base. It's a lot more layering than necessary, maybe, and a lot of very think wet paint to dry. Not the easiest way to do this. But it still came close to the hour mark. (Minus drying/dinner/obligatory marital time. Which, you know, I LIKE being married, so I can make a few sacrifices.)

Given that I did very much allow time between coats I'm not sure if this counts. And it really wasn't under an hour anyway. So I guess I owe another speed painting project and I think I have just the thing . . .

Asslessman

Very Good Dooz, I actually wouldn't want to consider skeletons as cheating as I can't manage to paint them quick myself ^^', excellent result !

David, If you primed with a brush you have all my admiration I just couldn't do it myself either ^^' oh and if you're looking for a cheap way to cut corners when speed painting, hair dryers are your friends ;)
Very bice model as said elsewhere.

symphonicpoet

To be frank, if I have to get out a hairdryer this isn't the challenge for me. I'll leave that to someone else. Maybe I'll just batch paint a few genestealers and record my time. That ought to do the job. As was said earlier, if you really want to speedpaint, batches are the way to go. Trouble is batch painting takes a lot of the fun out for me. I tend to only do it when I really need to get a bunch of similar miniatures done in a hurry. Ah well. It may be that this just isn't my badge.

symphonicpoet

All right . . . on attempt number three:

IMG_4573-1.jpg

IMG_4574-1.jpg

IMG_4576-2.jpg

The dryer went off interupting me very slightly, and I made a minor mistake that required correcting, but all in all, I think this satisfies the criteria.

Here's a slightly better photo after I changed laundry loads, gave the paint time to dry, and . . . din't touch up a thing. Nothing at all. What are you talking about?

IMG_4581-1.jpg

But given that the touching up took no longer than the interuptions, I think, I really do believe this fellow took just a hair under an hour. I can't keep life out of the way entirely. I'll doubtless give more timed trials later, but for now, I'm calling this success unless there is substantial objection.

Asslessman

Wow, still some pretty impressive entries here, oh and do not mind too much aout the rules, whoever argues for a couple of minutes will be mocked to death ! ^^

symphonicpoet

I've been known to batch paint on occasion, but always miniatures of a type. That's nuts! Also impressive, but nuts. Well done.

frenchfever

thanx a bunch

more coming at least 30 more. + 30 but i paid someone to paint them

Starting a dungeon oldhammer with 100 citadel minis

Niibl

Ha! I've done it. One miniature in less than one hour - including the base.
The miniature is a runequest duck warrior which I got on ebay, unaware of how tiny the lad is and on closer inspection - I am pretty sure is has a touch of lead rot.
So I filled up the damage and made it end up where all my miniatures without clear purpose end up: The zombie pirate horde.

Attachments

• Duck.jpg
    Duck.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 3,117
Back