Challenge: Ork Week!

Chico

Aye good job on choosing those clankers of old plastic, looking forward to seeing what you have painted.

Rob_S":1t4jzvdi said:
proxy

Here's the space ork I hope to resurrect. If it's fun I might do more.

I thought you donated all your old ork horde to "Leigh's endless miniature collection"?

IMHO these plastic orks look just as bad today as the day they were released........like fine vinegar, they have not gotten better with age.

cheetor

Nice vehicles Chico. I have a number of those models in various iterations in Epic scale, but I wouldnt mind one of each in 28mm.

Mostyn":1yx0qkct said:
Oooh, fortuitously I should be good for a snakebite wild boy on boar this week. Definitely not a fantasy boar boy ;)

Stick a holstered bolt pistol to the saddle or the guys thigh... ta dah! Futuristic ork.

Rob_S":1yx0qkct said:
Here's the space ork I hope to resurrect. If it's fun I might do more.

I definitely have a soft spot for those old plastics, although its fueled by nostalgia rather than based on a technical appreciation of the sculpts. I painted up this gaudy lot back in 1990 or so:

1evilsunz.jpg

I recently stripped them with the intention of resurrecting them for a retro kick, but when I have plenty of old RT era metal orks in the queue its hard to get worked up about those guys. I would like to get them on the gaming table again though.

Speaking of old orks, I have a batch of about a dozen approaching completion on my painting table. I should be able to get at least one of them finished before Sunday evening (which is when I am assuming the cut off point is). If I do then I will link here.

Orjetax

I am the odd duck who likes the ancient plastic orks.

It might really be because of how much I love the "screaming" head. Skews my whole evaluation, it does.

Chico

The plastic Ork head with a Flat cap is great but the other heads are naff, and aye the official cut of point for Ork Week is 12pm GMT. But no doubt people will be late finishing hehe

cheetor

Orjetax":fzdgwdxh said:
It might really be because of how much I love the "screaming" head. Skews my whole evaluation, it does.

Testify. Screaming head > soft hat guy.

I loved painting that screaming head when I was younger. Its definitely the best piece in that kit, probably followed by the heavy plasma gun.

Orjetax":gd56k3b7 said:
I am the odd duck who likes the ancient plastic orks.

I am with Orjetax on this one! Waaaagh da plastik orkses!

I actually have a modern plastic ork squad using the peaked cap head from the old kit painted a little bit like a bunch of 1930's brown shirts - no moronic iconography or anything, just a slight allusion. I used the screaming head recently in my Mega-Gazkhull conversion impaled on one of his banner poles also in a salute to the old kit. I still have a bunch of those old plastic beauties (ugly Bettys?) on the sprues - and some RTBT01 marines :) They will some day see the light of paint to be sure to be sure. I always found that the heads allowed you to create a fairly unique looking mob if you put some thought into it, for example I combined the helmeted head with the spike with some marine backpacks to create stormboys.

Typical, you announce Ork week the week after I spend two weeks sculpting a custom Imperial Ork and temporarily exhaust my Orky mojo.

dsc_0133.jpg

But that don't count for nuffink obviously. I guess I should just post up one of my bazillion boyz and claim I painted it yesterday like the sneaky Blood Axe git I am :mrgreen:

Chico

Or you an send me a few casts (Read: 10) of you blood axe boys.. and Um you win!.. Not that there's winners or losers though hehehe

Chico":1n7bo564 said:
Or you an send me a few casts (Read: 10) of you blood axe boys.. and Um you win!.. Not that there's winners or losers though hehehe

Not until they are fully cooked, and then you will have to share them with your mates :grin: !

Chico

theottovonbismark":1m4qxlds said:
Chico":1m4qxlds said:

Not until they are fully cooked, and then you will have to share them with your mates :grin: !

Boo sharing! How about if I offer you sexeh times with JJ? Deal?

MoodyGit

Finished my first painting challenge :grin:

You say red wunz go fasta, but black and chrome is cooler. (Also easier in a speed painting challenge)

MoodyGit

I'll never paint at your speed, I get one day a week if I'm lucky so I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Also as the only orks I now own unpainted are the original raiders box set, I'll be keeping them aside for the next time you have crazy suggestions. Did someone say orktober?

Chico

Hehehe I have 3 tricks to painting quick.

1: My painting table is already ready set up, so any spare time I get I can jump on the table
2: I paint dirty and grim, no super clean armies so that takes less painting time.
3: Nuln Oil and other washes, love um.

Rob_S

proxy

That's as far as I have got. Wont get time to paint again till Sunday night. I might not finish in time.

Chico

Its Ok as it finishes at 12am Sunday night GMT, your Aussy clock should be Ok as that be sometime Monday Morning for you.

Mostyn

Not the best photo but you should be able to clearly tell this is a snakebite wildboy on boar. Not a WHFB Snorta in sight...

Only another 200 orcs and goblins to go (once the bretonnians are finished of course :roll: )

Rob: Nice work on the face of the Ork - the challenge will be making the body look good as I think that is the weakest area of those plastics. Looking forward to seeing how you manage as I need some inspiration.

Blue in VT

Mostyn":tqym556b said:
Not the best photo but you should be able to clearly tell this is a snakebite wildboy on boar. Not a WHFB Snorta in sight...

Only another 200 orcs and goblins to go (once the bretonnians are finished of course :roll: )

Rob: Nice work on the face of the Ork - the challenge will be making the body look good as I think that is the weakest area of those plastics. Looking forward to seeing how you manage as I need some inspiration.

This looks great! Love these guys...

Blue

Rob_S

Great work all round! :grin:

Here's my Blood Axe entry into Ork week. I went with a WW2 German look riffing off Stone Cold Lead's excellent cammo tutorial.

proxy

Back