[Muster] Ratrak's Arrers and some scary lads

Grumdril

Oy lads. Point them bows properly. No! Not at Gaghit!

[Clank, clank]

Boss. Ooz dat coming?

Dunno ... look like trouble to me. 'Ear, keep it quiet. Don't look at 'em and they might not bash yer!

orcArrersChaosUndercoat.jpg

So, I'm meant to be painting Ratrak's arrer boyz for this challenge, plus a chaos warrior. Then suddenly I need a 500pt warband in a bit less than 2 weeks, which is 20+ orcs to paint or 5 chaos types (with what I have already), so a bit of a no-brainer. Hopefully I'll get back to the orcs before the end of the month.

Call me fussy but I like the figures facing the front of their base. These days though I've learned to do it by chopping the plastic base around rather than the figure's! All the orcs and chaos warriors have now had this done (except one older figure which I'm going to leave doing the 45-degree thing for old time's sake) and the ones you see in the picture are also undercoated. Daethskar will hopefully end up looking something like the chap from the front cover of 3rd edition, but we'll see if my painting is up to it...

Hetz

Nice figures, but be wary if you want to rank them up in units. Being at 45 degrees helps when they're squeezing up. You might have problems if they're all 90 degrees.

Obviously not a problem if they're going to skirmish.

Just remember, painting is fun - no, really. :razz:

Grumdril

@Hetz - it's all about how you rank them up, really not much more complicated than a game of Tetris :) The right-hand-most place on the rank is always the most popular though!

A week later, and only 4 painting evenings between when these pics were taken this morning and them needing to be ready for the table. I'm not worried, honest!

A few changes of plan in the meantime... My minotaur lord is proving difficult to strip, and I want to be sure to do a good job on him as I've been wanting to paint him for about 25 years. So I've pulled out another half-painted (again, from years ago) minotaur to replace him. I've also got side-tracked from my planned chaos sorcerer and have given into my broo runepriest who's been whispering "paint meeee" as I work. I'm fairly sure it's a daft tactical decision, as he'll have to be a level lower than the sorcerer on account of beastmen points values, but it's the taking part that counts!

The resurrected minotaur paint job (20 years old, minimum)
minoStart.jpg

And the main culprits
progress06Oct.jpg

The runepriest has only had an undercoat so far. The pic shows the warriors with the gun metal and first silver highlight, they've also all since had a second highlight. Daethskar's had his ink washes and basically just needs the back of his shield and his plume painting. The latter is proving problematic at the moment though :( Cedric I've slightly run out of inspiration on, so he's going to stay metal at this stage. He's done apart from his final leather highlight and the small matter of his shield.

So I "just" need to sort out the helm of the axeman, who's not quite coming together as I hoped, finish the minotaur, re-touch another minotaur, paint the runepriest from scratch and do the bases... 3 painting evenings left...

phreedh

Go Grumdril, go! I like the progress you've done so far, the metals look very good and so does the minotaur!

Grumdril

Just about finished in time... Bases not done, but otherwise they're ready for the table.

He's a bit washed out in the picture, but of the group I'm happiest with the minotaur. I wasn't happy with Daethskar when the washes first went on, but he's grown on me since.

Cedric's a bit bland, he needs a better shield execution to rescue him, but my skills aren't up to it at the moment. And the runepriest lacks something, I think in hindsight I chose a bad palette for him, perhaps his goat side and his robes are too close in tone. The robes were meant to be the same colours as the 3rd ed cover chaos sorceror, perhaps if I re-do him tending more to the lilac that'd be better.
warbandExtras.jpg

They'll have to do for now though, it'll likely be years before I re-visit them.

And the warband all together.
warbandAll.jpg

Golgfag1

Looking good there Grumdril,

On Friday night they looked even better on the tabletop where all true fighting figures should be. They may have been few in number, but their numbers will grow in time as their reputation becomes known, their display on Friday night - did you proud beating off the Orcs, Goblins and more goblins, if I recall correctly.

I look forward to seeing more of them.

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

Some progress on the orcs, but I can't see them being done for end of the momth...

archersProgress21Oct.jpg

As you can see the undercoat and first metal coat is on, and I'm currently base coating the skin. The chap front left of the photo also has a test patch of the normal / non-shade skin tone on the top of his right arm (Vallejo Game Color Goblin Green). In hindsight I should have done the fingers as well, to see better how that was going to work. They're not quite going to match my older paint jobs, but so far I prefer the new colours. It's a bit early to tell though really...

Grumdril

[Clank, clank]

'ere boss! They're back again.

I see that, idiot. Keep quiet! Maybe they'll go again without killin' anyone.

MMM!

squeak. Err, me?

Mmmmm mmmm mmmmmmmmm mmm mmmm mmmm mm

Wha? Come where?

Mmmm mmmm mm. Mmmmm mmmm mm mmmm mmm mmmmmmmmm

Loot 'n' prisoners eh? Sure thing boss! ... 'Ere, wait a minute. Your boss's a stunty. 'E'll kill us soon as look at us.

Mmmmmmm mm mmmmmmmmmm

Indisposed? Wasat?

Mm mm mmmmmmmmm mmmm mmm mmmm

If you say so guv. Gaghit, go get the boss an' tell 'im to bring 'is lads. Tell 'im abaat the loot 'n' prisoners!

---

With the archers finally (mostly) done it's time to turn to my next unit. I'm getting a bit ambitious this time, about 16 boyz plus a shaman. I also need to re-touch the paint job of my orc general, and since chaos dwarves and orcs don't get on I've written Grumdin out of the picture for now so he'll need a replacement warrior. I've also got some bits of converting to do.

Target date? No idea!

archersFinAll.jpg

Grumdril

And here are the boyz in their current state -
boyzStart.jpg

If you're counting you'll notice there are only 12 of them. Erny's hopefully sending me some more of the plastic ones to make up the numbers - I was originally going to start with a unit of 10 but I'm thinking an extra 4 monopose figures will be relatively quick to paint.

The two chaps at the back right will just get new shields and bases, and Harboth the same plus green skin.

The shouty chap with no arm will be the standard bearer. I've never owned him with both arms. I don't remember the history of that particular trade, I've always liked the figure but I hope I didn't swap him for anything too valuable :) About 25 years ago I gave him a tentacle to hold the banner with, hopefully I can stretch to an arm this time.

Grumdril

Oi, you're late!

Sorry boss.

Progress has been embarrassingly slow on these chaps, in part because real life has been busy but also in part due to a not-very-sensible approach. I tried tackling too many figures at once and so lost enthusiasm around the base coating stage. Eventually I got some to the wash and highlight stage and it all got better from there.

boyzSide.jpg

Still basing to do, unfortunately. Plus they still need their standard bearer, but I'm rather daunted by the need to build him an arm!

I'm pleased with the way Erny's orcs mix in with the metal ones, although the right hand end of each rank is at a premium to give space to those enormous scimitars! :)

I also need to give credit to Jeff McC for the colour scheme - for years I avoided painting orcs in greens and browns which rather limited my options. Thanks to some of the examples I've seen on here I now begin to appreciate how to give even irregular units a vaguely uniform overall look while still keeping variety in there.

madMoonShields.jpg

boyzFront.jpg

Still plenty more to do to make these chaps into a decent sized unit, but first I'm going to divert onto some other figures including the hobgoblins.

Blue in VT

Looking good! Classics all...

This is a gret inspiration....I plan on having a big green skin painting push this fall...reviewing threads like this will get me all fired up!

I know sometimes it's a slog but keep plugging along and the results will add up to something quite impressive.

Blue

Golgfag1

Well done Paul,
Keep up the good work and you'll get there. How are we looking for another meeting at Abingdon? (No pointing in doing all this painting - if the little fellas aren't going to get a chance to come out and play.)

In hope

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

@ Blue in VT - thanks, glad you like them. As you say, however slow, at least I'm moving forward!

@ Paul - Yes, absolutely. The one thing my lads like better than a good fight is a good fight against another army. Ideally one that's surprised, hung-over or otherwise incapacitated! :) When's good for you - my Friday's are pretty clear except for 16th May?

Paul / Grumdril

Grumdril

I've finally got to the point where I've just shy of 1000pts of painted stuff. Let's not talk too much about how many are properly based though...

warband1000pt.jpg

Unfortunately Paul / Golgfag1's skinny elves gave some of these a bit of a mauling last night, so I'm going to need to rustle up some replacements... There's definitely a downside to this narrative gaming lark :)

Progress is being made though!

Golgfag1

Their coming along quite nicely Paul, :grin:

and their a lot better looking in the flesh as it were; so, I would worry too much about how unkindly the dice appeared to roll for them last night - they gave a pretty good showing for themselves once the squabbling ceased. Sorry to say I couldn't open your zip file, so you're going to have to post the pictures I'm afraid. :roll: :roll: :roll:

See you soon

Paul / Golgfag1

Grumdril

Three and a half years later I'm up to 1000 points of painted chaos. Not an impressive painting speed by the standards of anyone here, but I'm glad to get there...!

chaos1000pts.jpg

Orjetax

Hah!

I love to see an old project thread revived!

Congratulations on getting up to 1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back