A new type of challenge?

Just John

While wandering around on LAF I saw that they have a challenge that might suit our needs. Never one to shy away from stealing ideas from other I thought I'd see what the interest here would be in the..... (drum roll please)

ARMY PAINTING CHALLENGE or to avoid outright plagiarism ANSWERING THE MUSTER

This has also been partly inspired by the poll on painted armies and the associated posts of all the unpainted armies lying around. The idea would be that while most of us are painting bits and pieces here and there, it would seem that very few of us are getting armies done (apart from Mr Saturday and Chico). Perhaps this can help.

The Plan
Pick a bunch of your favourite figures. Organise them into something resembling a table top force - this can be Mordheim warband, RoC warband, WFB army, RT whatever it doesn't matter. Put your roster up here. Paint them. Tie it in with the monthly challenges as well if you want.

Are there willing volunteers? Suggestion, ideas, time scale all welcome.

Asslessman

Always happy to join in painting challenges. I fear the very differnet sizes of all armies implied will make deadlines really tricky (it's already quite a loose point for painting challenges, no offence meant, I'm to blame like any other :grin:).
Encouraging army building though is something I would strongly support.

Posting armylists and rosters as you suggested seems a good idea, then we can split them in small parts and show what percentage has been achieved every month for example. This could be tied with the monthly painting challenges oreven replace them, letting the monthly challenges for side projects or more themed project (like the halloween theme which I like a lot).

Anyway, as far as armies go, here is what's on the "to do" list :

WHFB :
- Full undead army : bought/partly assembled/unpainted

RT/WH40k :
- New chaos renegade force : bought/assembled/started painting (this will be the one to join the challenge)
- Eldar army : bought/partly assembled/unpainted

Confrontation :
- Bratt gang : bought/partly assembled/unpainted
- sensei gang : bought/partly assembled/unpainted
- Illuminati gang : bought/partly assembled/unpainted
- Bounty hunter gang : bought/partly assembled/unpainted
- Scavvy gang : bought/partly assembled/unpainted
- Rogue trader gang : bought/partly assembled/unpainted
- pirate gang : bought/partly assembled/unpainted
- Police/law enforcers : bought/partly assembled/unpainted
- Full set of NPC : bought/partly assembled/unpainted

Plus I don't count my chaos WHFB army that will never be truly finished (you all know what it's like...)

Harry

I started and looked after (for the first few years) the 'Tale of Fantasy Painters' and the Tale of 40K Painters on Warseer.

The way it worked there was that you aimed to paint 200 points of something every month.
So 10 months later you would have a finished 2000 point army.
Some months you would paint a big unit, other months just a character, big monster over a couple of months, etc ... you could fit it around you life, christmas etc.
You also got two Jokers so that two months of the year you could play a joker and not post anything ... just because Life, starting college, getting maried, etc sometimes gets in the way of the important stuff
... but you would still have 2000 point army done in the year even with two months off.

Works a treat ... not easy to stick to however. Less than 50% of the starters stay the course.

So we introduced a Men and boys catagory.
Men paint 200 points a month/2000 points in the year.
Boys paint 100 points a month/ 1000 points in the year.

Aiteal

I'd be up for this all right.
I've managed to collect enough minis in this last month or two to assemble my hobgoblin force lead by the one and only Gyokurinti the Strangler.

so that would be
Gyokurinti and his personal warband of 15 c36 hobgoblins
25 c36 hobgoblins as a unit of hobyars
a hobgoblin shaman
a hobgoblin assassin
a rocket launcher (missing three of the four crew currently)
12 hobs hounds/3 handlers
hobgoblin on temple dog with 6 vendel goblin wolf riders that i'm planning on remodelling a little with greenstuff
3 trolls

still to source would be
enough undead samuari for the shaman's necromantic summoning, failing that I may just attempt green stuffing plastic skeletons with asian conical hats and doing a few weapon swaps

Fimm McCool

Since monthly painting challenges for the foreseeable future are going to be units from my snotling army, fine. Snots are wot I'm doin'.

Erny

This would be how I paint anyhow. At the moment an old, old school (but not old, old, old) empire army is on the cards. Why stop at one empire army.

Mister Rab

I like this idea and reckon I could probably cope with entering the "boys" category. Hey, at least it would be better than nothing :lol:

I'd be going for getting my Bretonnian bits tabletop ready.

Just John

Ok then there seems to be enough interest to give this a try. I'll post up some more rules for this tomorrow and if we agree to them we'll set a start date of the 1st October for the 1st month, that way if anyone has a unit in the October Challenge it can count double ;)

Now how to make 2000 points out of halflings...

1st Rule - we'll use WFB 3rd ed for fantasy points. 200 points per month (100 point for babies, sorry I mean boys)
2nd Rule - 12 month challenge, 2000 points (1000 for the wusses) 2 joker months
3rd Rule - if Admin agree everyone will start there own thread with [Muster] at the start of the title (pinched from LAF, I know) 1st post to lay out (roughly) the aim of the years painting.
4th Rule - feel free to use the army structure in Warhammer Armies but there is no need to so there are no strict rules on Allies, include mercenaries if you want.
5th Rule - use this thread for questions about the challenge.

I don't think I could put together that many points of unpainted RT/<4th edition WHFB minis. I'd hate to gamble on the vagueries of ebay and being able to acquire classic minis at a suitable pace. Sadly, I may have to sit this one out.

Fimm McCool

I have a feeling my snots run way over 2000 pts at 3rd ed costings. :lol: My 8th-ed-legal Fimir run in at 3000 and way over 7000 according to the 3rd ed list!

Just John

The Inner Geek":12ti1bjh said:
I don't think I could put together that many points of unpainted RT/<4th edition WHFB minis. I'd hate to gamble on the vagueries of ebay and being able to acquire classic minis at a suitable pace. Sadly, I may have to sit this one out.

I really don't know much about points in RT but if you wanted to join in maybe doing 10 figure squads as units that would work. These challenges aren't about meeting criteria as encouraging people to paint so make a suggestion and it will be taken on board.

Harry

Just John":3o0mz7qx said:
The Inner Geek":3o0mz7qx said:

I really don't know much about points in RT but if you wanted to join in maybe doing 10 figure squads as units that would work. These challenges aren't about meeting criteria as encouraging people to paint so make a suggestion and it will be taken on board.

Absolutely. We would have folks join in with a warmaster army or whatever.
Essentially, you just need to look at the finish point you wan to get to and divide by 10 to work out how much stuff you need to paint each month.
No one is going to think your cheating because your not painting as much stuff as the next guy.

Although Just John may call you girly, sissy names. :grin:

tancrede

As I haven't too many 80s minis (even if I add 40k and WFB), and I will be running out of time for personnal armies in the coming months (due to a massive commission work), I will pass my turn this time.
But if you continue running monthly challenge, I'll try to do a max of them.

Just John

The monthly challenges will continue as well Tancrede - no worries there.

Keep bringing up things people and think outside the box - Harrys suggestion is best. Gather what you want to paint. Divide it into 10 parts and enter it in. I promise to not be too insulting and if possible will never use the same insult twice :grin:

Asslessman

Al of this is highly motivating !

Just a detail quetsion, are we having a sub-forum in the painting challenge section so that we can all share or progress or is this to be placed in the WIP section? (just to save time from moving thjreads for our beloved mods :grin:).

Back