Tramps Ver'men skaven

Tramp

Thanks for the positive feedback, it's not my best paint job in the world but I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I think a lot of these harlequin ver'men castings have a bit of an eastern feel to them, and I like the idea of an Arabian themed army, the only thing I seem to struggle with is painting light colours!
To be honest I don't know how I will play him! I've not played for a long time, I quite like the making and painting, but tzeentch flying disc rules sound good to me!

Unfortunately recently I've been a little busy with other things and I've not had much chance to paint as I would like. One thing I have been slowly working on is my old Jes Goodwin screaming bell, it's probably the biggest model I've painted (it's bigger than my doomwheel) and it has taken me ages to do in my on off fashion, I'm not a particularly quick painter at the best of times & it means everything I paint takes a long while to complete!

Today I finished the maxhinary of the bell, although it is not complete - I have a base that I'm yet to finish, and both the bell striker and grey Seer require painting, I wanted to share my progress.

26461D4C-14FE-44AE-83CC-C621D3DF6DB5_zpsstna5jrc.jpg

68D6EAA3-7A74-41CF-A425-74E64DAF02A7_zpszciwqqfh.jpg

I experimented a bit with the horns on the upright horned rat faces, I attempted a bit of wet blending which I was pretty happy with the result of (of course I had to do them both twice but it's a learning curve)

I also managed to finish the back of the doomwheel chair, this has needed fitting for a while, but I didn't like the flag pole on the back of it, so I cut it off sanded it down and made greenstuff rivets to fill the void,

28ABBBF3-7684-40FD-89D0-60CB9B978218_zpshnypgz6k.jpg

Tramp

So, updates updates updates, or non as the case my be!

Recently I was going to place an order for some more minis, I wanted some jezzails so I added some new old harlequin ones to my basket, whilst doing so I mentioned to my son (he's six) that he might want to paint something too, he decided that he wanted to paint a skeleton so I added some of them too.

On Saturday they arrived, so whilst my other half had took the girls out dancing me and laddo set to. We washed and removed flash, then glued to bases (he chose the round ones - I'd of picked square but it's his choice) we then primed them with aerosol in the garage before we finally got to paint,

I got him a selection of old brushes and he painted one skeleton with an axe, whilst I painted another,

He did well and I think he enjoyed the experience, I enjoyed it too! I've not painted skeletons for a loooong time and it was nice to do drybrushing. after he'd gone to bed I cracked the cavelry unit out, it was something I was really looking forward to painting!

The following day we based them, he chose the green 'meadow' flock so we used that, I liked it as it gave a bit of an old hammer feel,

0DCAC883-A715-489F-9116-CCDF40DD7213_zpsmi7xuac3.jpg

Overall it was a positive experience, Sam enjoyed painting and so did I. This week I seem to have lost some of my ratty mojo, but now I've had a bit of a change I'm ready to plow on with my jezzails!

Tramp

Haha, it was a nice attempt by him and I like that he has tried! With skeletons i thought it would be a nice intro for him, prime them white, go mad with an ink wash and then just highlight, he was fine with ink wash but the highlights....I couldn't help but cringe a little when starfished the brush bristles in the paint - but we did use old brushes for a reason and the idea was to get him involved. He seemed pretty happy which was nice because it's always nice to share hobbies. Also the more he wants to paint, the more excuses I have to buy minis! So his total so far is X1 skeleton he has another one left to paint, after that I will have to buy him some more minis although I think he's eyeing up my 'rats with guns'

Tramp

So long time, no update, well with Photobucket gone I've just not posted, I've now set up with a Vgy so should be ok to go, I would like to re image my entire Photobucket account but it is a big job!

Any way, I've done a few bits of hobby since my last post,

Ver'gunas (or jezzails) I've painted up x2 gunners, but not yet got around to the slave supports!

cfMpC0.jpg

I also made a start on a little project, this is a dark Elf cold one general sat on a harlequin 'sultans horse'

0FXbJs.jpg

I managed to finish off my screaming bell bell striker

gbCgSZ.jpg

And I'm currently working my way through my slave unit, I'm about 50% complete

AvjV4W.jpg

The Fat Git

As another skaven player I have to say great job! I'm totally stealing the Doomwheel tracks idea. Also your painting of Black Tree's Ver'men has gotten me compelled to look further at that range. Curses! :grin: Keep up the good work and happy foot knuckle painting!

Tramp

yeah I really like this range, some sculpts are a little hit and miss but for me there are more hits than misses! I like that they have the right style/feel, although when it comes to skaven there aren't many alternatives!!! I too have a draw full of unpainted minis awaiting a paint brush. I think everyone here does!

So what has been going on in my world? Same as always, not enough painting! What I have been doing (apart from procrastinating so I don't have to paint slaves) I've been working on my rat ogres, I have now done a grand total of 1 (of five) I should wait and post the completed unit, but I'd be waiting until next year before I could post - and the novelty would have worn off!

z9NqZw.jpg

UqZoi9.jpg

On another note I was browsing eBay (as you do) and i really fancied buying and painting a dragon, I put an offer in on one that was badly painted but it was too low for the seller, I then saw this one which was cheaper and in my price range

XO6ayE.jpg

It came a few days ago, the thing is, it has a reasonable paint job on it (or at least on par with my skills!) so I'm a little reluctant to strip it down and re-paint it!

Tramp

A little more to add, a further x6 slaves only x18 left to go!

1IH5uY.jpg

With these guys I bought some GW ratskin flesh colour which I tried on some of these guys, it's a bit rosy/peachy for me but It has made me think my normal pink/brown skin mix is a little dark

Anyway, I also finished my cold one general on harlequin horse,

a1HpdT.jpg

H6yYSm.jpg

The horse is a bit shiny as I varnished it but ill try and bring it down,

Tramp

So long time no posts, but I have been still painting away when time permits!

Lots of stuff happened in my personal life: divorce, medical issues with family and I did a degree. I did post on Reddit for a bit but it’s not quite the same as here,

Anyway i was browsing google for ver’men and my thread came up! I thought it might be time for me to update it with a few choice minis over the last..... 4(?!?!) years

I also got a light box which makes pictures better!

I finished up some harlequin skeleton cavalry
0QK98oR.jpg

My slave command - I finished my screaming bell unit but don’t have any pics
BjiF7mo.jpg

I did a few harlequin plague monks
0KwwuDm.jpg

Then for some real GW,
Some rat ogres, when I bought this from eBay the packet it came in had a hole, luckily all the heads were present
2FKUWog.jpg

I did some witch elves for my daughters
WZcJowh.jpg

And some new warbikes that my mum bought me for Christmas, I got an old scorcha half track to go with it too but I’ve not got around to doing it yet
ARFAIEb.jpg

I’m looking forward to posting more as I get more minis painted,

I’ve also discovered 3D printing - it justified me getting an airbrush!
cKb7HNN.jpg

Tramp

So I finished up my old poison wind globadier, this was one of my original minis from when I was at school, originally it was blue... but it wouldn’t fit in my scheme, so cream and yellow it went!

sTkbq2L.jpg

Then I also finished up my jezzail unit, the gunners are ver’men and the commander is an old marauder miniature... I got it from eBay, but I suspect it’s a recast as the details aren’t that crisp compared to other minis of a similar age, regardless I need a champion and he fit so well, I’m surprised how similar the rifles are, i 3D printed the unit base and epoxy resined a metal biscuit tin lid in the bottom so I could magnetise the bases - they store so much better when they stick!

IymKiZv.jpg

EricF

Administrator
I like some good old rats. Very nice. In particular I really like your stoney bases. They are simple and work so nicely with the models.

dazza36

I also love me some rats especially when their painted up so nicely ! I always had plans to collect an army of them, but found the prices off putting and in the end sold off my small collection. I'm unfamiliar with Ver'men they look nice but slightly confused by the heads as in the picture it looks like they are all wearing earmuffs !! I'm guessing its their ears and just the angle of the photo ?

Tramp

No you are right, the gunners have ear defenders! I painted them orange like they were ‘pelters’

I like these ver’gunnas in my opinion they have the right feel, and they aren’t the same extortionate prices as the proper ones,

I took a few pictures of my completed units...

I finished my screaming bell unit pushed by slaves non of the miniatures here are GW, apart from the bell and the bell striker, the grey seer is a Kev Adam’s/ Tim prow sculpt. The slaves are these old harlequin miniatures, I altered some of them, by green stuffing the burning brands, turning swords to daggers and giving alternative shields. These slaves don’t really need weapons, they aren't equipped very well offensively, their job is to push the bell and cower behind their shields
oMup7ax.jpg

Also at some time I finished up this giant rat unit, a mix of harlequin giant rats and maurader ftom when I first got into the hobby in the 90’s
IuPCafd.jpg

The quality of these pictures are pretty dire as I had to take them in the garage at my sister, where all my worldly goods belong, I’m looking forward to having space in a house where I can display some of my work rather than packing it all away
e7kdusD.jpg

Tramp

Another unit - All praise the Vermin Lord!

RFovJkS.jpg

I’m actually waiting for a delivery I’m x3 minis short of the unit, these are more ver’men, these are the Nest Guard minis but I’ll probably use them as storm vermin or spearmen. I had to buy some ‘gripping beast’ sc32 shields to equip them as I like them much more than the ones that come in the kit

My next project is some plague monks & an old ork ‘scorcher war track’ that I fancy doing

Watch this space!

jon_1066

"I'll just take this pic-i-nic basket Boo Boo"

"Ahhh rats have eaten all the sandwiches!"

Great work. Shaping up to be a nice army.

Back