Old Worlder Ally Contingent

In the recent attack on Three Oaks, the human settlement was defended by the Dwarves. Where were the human defenders? Due to this I decided to start to work on an Old Worlder Ally Contingent.

Table of Contents

The first part of this will be a unit of halberdiers.

What is now called "An der Fähre" (At the Ferry) started out as the
cottage of Karl Ruderer, who operated a small ferry business at an
infrequently used travel route.
When more and more merchants started to use this route, soon
small queues started to build on both sides of the river, which soon let to
inns being opened; shortly thereafter smiths settled there, food was needed
so some farmers joined... and very quickly a
village formed - named after the place it is situated at - the ferry.

The Bürgermeister soon was forced to spend money on a permanent village
guard, as drunkards needed to be arrested, disputes between merchants needed
to be deescalated (especially when the merchants employed caravan guards) and
raids by bandits needed to be stopped.

The core of the village guard is a company of halberdiers.

The miniatures I ordered from [Mirliton](http://www.mirliton.it "Mirliton"), one pack of each of their halberdiers (I, II, III and command group) from their fantasy human range. They delivered very quickly, great service!

IMG_20150808_183928.jpg

The miniatures are very nice. They have crisp detail, are very varied in details but still look like one type of troop, and no pack has duplicates. Especially the variety in equipment is very fitting in my opinion, as in medieval type times there was no real uniformity, as basically very piece of equipment was manufactures as a one of a kind due to lack of industrialised manufacturing. The mold lines are very small, even the ones going over the chainmail are easily removed.

The only complaint I have about them is the basing. No bases are supplied with them (which is fine, as depending on which game their customers want to use the models for they would need round, square 25mm, square 20mm, hex, ... bases), instead they have quite thick integral bases. When glued to the 20mm bases usually used for Warhammer humans, the integral base basically doubles the base height - so I have to cut them down. This is not difficult but tedious work.

IMG_20150808_215848.jpg

The first 5 models have the mold lines removed but are not yet glued to the bases - this I will only do when all minis are ready, so I can rank them up in the formation I will most often use them, 5 wide and 4 deep.

IMG_20150808_221937.jpg

I did not pay enough attention when buying the models. On the one hand the command group only includes 4 models, so my unit is not 20 strong but only 19; on the other hand it includes two leader type models and no halberdier, so I have an extra hero (back row with the plumed helmet) but only an 18 strong unit.

Models ranked up and glued to bases.

IMG_20150809_173046.jpg

Here you can see how I marked the position of the models.

IMG_20150809_175108.jpg

Bases covered with plaster to hide the integral bases.

IMG_20150809_181709.jpg

Bases covered in sand.

IMG_20150809_190345.jpg

I basecoated the models with my airbrush and Vallejo surface primer black 28.012.

IMG_20150811_192255.jpg

The first colour I applied to the chainmail some of the miniatures are wearing with... 72.053 Chainmail Silver... what else...

IMG_20150811_203138.jpg

After that, I painted the studded leather armour with 70.822 German Camo Black Brown. Yes, there is really not only black and silver on the miniatures in the following picture:

IMG_20150811_203229.jpg

I painted the quilted armour in three different shades of light brown / khaki.

IMG_20150812_231539.jpg

IMG_20150812_231548.jpg

The plate armour, helmets, bucklers, hellebarde blades etc. were painted in steel. I used the Vallejo air colour, which has a very nice consistency.

IMG_20150812_231600.jpg

IMG_20150812_231616.jpg

Now I am thinking on the unit's/village colours and the emblem. I want the emblem to show water and the ferry.

Something like

GW-GL-Glarus%20Sued%20Forschlag%202.gif

6291_2010_1030.jpg

My problem now is that I cannot think of anything that shouts ferry and at the same time is easy to paint...

Here are several examples of ships on an emblem, but they look to much like sea faring vessels, not like small river crossing ones.

This one
tuggen_wappen.jpg
I like very much, but I don't see me painting the two guys freehand on tunics...

Do you have any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Golgfag1

I suggest on the free-hand - work, try drafting pens -indian ink, practice on paper, to get the size and shape you want & then once you've painted the background colours, apply the design to the shield, flag etc. and colour-in the sections you want, don't worry about going over the edges, once you've got the jist of what you're looking for, go back over with the pen to tidy the edges.

Hope this helps

Paul / Golgfag1

weismonsters":1z2y51gp said:
They loo good. How do they scale with old citadel stuff? They look a bit similar to the Moon Duke in style.

As requested, here are some comparison pictures with older Citadel miniatures.

IMG_20150813_204051.jpg

IMG_20150813_204132.jpg

I continued to work on the models, painting the wood, leather and woolen hoods. I still tried to use non-colours, only browns and beiges, etc. The real colours will only come with the clothing and coat of arms.

IMG_20150813_230924.jpg

IMG_20150813_230941.jpg

IMG_20150813_230957.jpg

Golgfag1":1z2y51gp said:
I suggest on the free-hand - work[...]

Ok, I will give it a try, but am not very confident... let's see...

Blue in VT":1z2y51gp said:
I say put the pig on the boat and forget the two guys...perfection!

This would certainly look good, but I am not sure that the pig is that much easier to paint... But I will give it a try as well!

Fimm McCool":1z2y51gp said:
They look really great! For future reference, these are available: http://www.hfminis.co.uk and there are plastic ones as well, but can't remember who from. :)

Dude... couldn't you have posted this some days ago...? Would have saved me a lot of cutting... ;) I will definitely consider these next time.

Erny

I had a bunch of these grenadier sculpts in my original empire army back when 3rd was the current version of the game. You are doing a nice job with them, mine were just painted brown with the faces, armour and weapons picked out, I may have painted the tunics too.

It took another flu laying me down before I found the time to continue on these models...

I slightly changed the background part:

What is now called "An der Fähre" (At the Ferry) started out as the
cottage of Karl Ruderer, who operated a small ferry business at a
infrequently used travel route in the Hegemony.
When the neighbouring barony imposed taxes on the trade of pigs (any
connection with the baron's son marrying the daughter of the largest pig
farmer of the barony were of course purely coincidential) more and more
merchants dealing in pigs started to use this route, circumventing the tax
imposing barony, soon small queues started to build on both sides of the
river, which soon let to inns being opened; shortly thereafter smiths settled
there, food was needed so some farmers joined... and very quickly a
village formed - named after the place it is situated at - the ferry.

The Bürgermeister soon was forced to spend money on a permanent village
guard, as drunkards needed to be arrested, disputes between merchants needed
to be deescalated (especially when the merchants employed caravan guards) and
raids by bandits needed to be stopped.

The core of the village guard is a company of halberdiers.
The flag of the village is

IMG_20150930_212226.png

showing the animal on the ferry that made the village. The colours of the two halves of the flag as well as the uniforms will be pink (representing the pigs) and blue (representing the river).

IMG_20150929_171206.jpg

There is a mix of uniforms currently being worn, the old one (left in the picture below) consisted of pink trousers and a blue blouse. As the guards were often teased with wearing their pajama trousers, the uniform was changed to both trousers and blouses being halfed in blue and pink (right model). The company is in transition of style of uniforms, so you can find both variants among them.

IMG_20150929_171250.jpg

IMG_20150929_171338.jpg

Current status is the blue and pink having washes applied.

IMG_20150929_173824.jpg

I started to practise the coat of arms freehand, but I still have a way to go...

IMG_20150928_114524.jpg

IMG_20150928_115016.jpg

IMG_20150928_123507.jpg

IMG_20150928_123748.jpg

IMG_20150928_130400.jpg

Chico

Great stuff,these have been along time on my want list and you are doing a good job on them.

Thanks!

I painted the flag, basically using the same colours as for the uniforms.

IMG_20151005_110732.jpg

IMG_20151005_120824.jpg

IMG_20151005_121524.jpg

I then tried to paint the coat of arms onto the flag of the trumpeter, as well as the bodice of the two leader models. Well... this is the third try and I will leave it at that, but I am not really happy with how the pig turned out...

IMG_20151005_190130.jpg

IMG_20151006_085057.jpg

Last thing was to give the bare brown weapon shafts some grain. I painted medium brown lines lengthwise, leaving about the same amount of the dark brown basecolour. I then painted light brown lines within the medium brown lines. Finally I touched up the dark brown basecolours and disrupted the medium/light brown lines here and there.

IMG_20151006_085143.jpg

IMG_20151006_093107.jpg

IMG_20151006_094756.jpg

Only the bases left to be done!

Subedai

That's a great looking unit. I'm loving the colour scheme and the banner with its background story. That's the quirkiness of the old Warhammer days.

Nordvolk Mercenary Journeymen

Among the Nordvolk there are not many rich families that can offer their
offspring a good start into their own independent lifes. At the same time it
is custom for children to leave their parents' homes at the age of 17 and
live their own lifes away from their families.
Most among the Nordvolk live lifes as farmers, cultivating crops or keeping
sheep and cattle, fewer work as craftsmen or traders. To start their own
business, or buy an existing business from the current owner (who finances
his retirement with buying off) young men need starting capital. Only the
richest families can provide this.

Most young men need to earn their starting capital themselves, and band
together at the age of 17 under the leadership of older veterans and either
pillage the coastlines as longboat raiders, or travel the realms and offer
their services as mercenaries.

Halvar (25) and Tjure (23) Svanson are two brothers who choose the path of
mercenary. First Halvar started this career, Tjure joined his elder brother's
band two years later. At the age of 19, taking over command of his mercenary
band after their leader was slain, Halvar saved most of the band (including
his brother) from the battle that saw all the forces of the side they fought
for annihilated. Since then he has been the leader of his own mercenary
group, Tjure being his second in command. They accumulated some fame, and
have no shortage of new youths who are eager to join their mercenary band.

They saved up quite some money already, so will probably not be in the
business much longer before starting their planned cattle farm.

These models represent about two thirds of the Kislevite option (up to 30 models) of the Oldworlder Ally Contingent. They are armed with hand weapons and double handed weapons, with the option of light armour.

I choose the Nordvolk Axe regiment from West Wind Productions, two troop packs and one command pack.

IMG_20151012_183802.jpg

For modern/future models I use for some time now washers, which allow easy storage in magnetic sheeting clad boxes. I tried several options with plastic bases (gluing magnetic sheeting or magnets into their bottom) but no option convinced me so far. I ordered some steel bases from Products for Wargamers and am quite happy so far. They are flat but still strong, line up nicely and allow for magnetic storage. These could be my new bases of choice. Damn... I need to rebase the An der Fähre Village Guard... (which should not be too complicated, just cutting away the trim and gluing the flat plastic base to the magnetic one).

IMG_20151012_213223.jpg

I cleared all the models from flash and glued them to their bases.

IMG_20151013_174059.jpg

The bases where then sanded.

IMG_20151013_182320.jpg

The brothers, Tjure left and Halvar right.

IMG_20151013_182341.jpg

Depending on the current tactical needs, the band often splits up into the main body being led by Halvar and a smaller flanking unit led by Tjure.

IMG_20151013_182557.jpg

This configuration is not quite legal according to the army list, as the minimum unit size is 10 models... but this is Oldhammer, so who cares... ;)

Most models are equipped like the following one, one two handed axe and a hand weapon - exactly the mandatory equipment from the list.

IMG_20151013_190145.jpg

IMG_20151013_190155.jpg

Back