Minotaur Warband - Can I finish it by next year?

inchmurrin

I was browsing through WD 125 when I encountered the Minotaur warband article, one of the tasters for Lost and the Damned. I decided that given the presence of a few minotaurs in my "needs sorting / broken" lead pile this would be a grand next project. So I rolls up a warband and got :-

A Lvl 5 Bloodkine as Champion

3 Minotaurs

5 Beastmen

A centaur

and a monster because "minotaurs - are more likely to encounter such creatures than other champions"

Great thought I what goodies shall I have with my Khorne Minotaur warnband? I rolled 71 "An undead Champion and D6 skeles" Hmm does this seem like a good idea?

My question at this point for the forum is is it? Do I try to put together this undead group? I have a minotaur skele there may be other beastman type skeles about but Khorne and undead champs seems odd. Or do I do the other thing and choose a monster I already have and like the idea of like chaos hounds?

Any and all comments and advice encouraged. Pictures of progress will hopefully follow.

Blood for the blood god, skulls for the throne of Khorne. And all that. SOme blood soaked undead would be fun, maybe even with head swaps and the like. You could even theme it with a necromancer in your warband. Im not saying give anyone magic powers, but you could make a fun centaur deathwizard chaos thing. His only power is having the undead champion and D6 skellies. Put loads of skulls on all your models and bases so that the actual skeletons match the rest of the warband?

inchmurrin

Ah now that would work, lots of skulls for the Skull Throne!!! and varying degrees of degeneration. So next thing who's got broken beast men to convert?

Snickit

What about headless undead so the skull went to the throne, rest of the body kept going. You could either have blatantly headless or have empty hoods.

inchmurrin

The first minotaur in the warband is finished, probably. Is he a bit big considering he's not the champion?

1010230268_o.jpg

1010230286_o.jpg

Lack of skulls on the base may only be temporary I am seriously considering an undead skull theme as suggested by wise members of the group especially as I could buy the huge bag of skulls GM sell.

Meanwhile a question. What head for my minotaur champion?

Options are (1) the skeletal head from the minotaur lords http://www.solegends.com/citcat1991b/cat1991bp296minotaurlords-01.htm
(2) the one I have in the picture
(3) the head of a bloodthirster as he can have chaos gifts.

1010230277_o.jpg

Comments criticism and advice actively sought.

inchmurrin

Progress continues on the warband. I'm still considering the head for the champion but meanwhile another minotaur.

He's a Marauder MM42 Minotaur who'd lost an arm which was replaced with a plastic orc one with a cleaver, seemed suitably Khornate. The colour is based on the Tzeetch minotaur in WD 124 but redder of course.

1011158596_o.jpg

1011158588_o.jpg

1011158580_o.jpg

I've also completed the skeletal squad but they will probably be gradually replaced by suitable minotaur/ beastman skeleton types when I find them.

1011158610_o.jpg

1011158623_o.jpg

and this is the skeletal champion

1011158604_o.jpg

Comments and criticism encouraged.

inchmurrin

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes I think the grey mino is really grumpy about something, but they are Khorne followers so mad grumpiness is a given!

inchmurrin

Latest recruits to the warband a recently joined group of beastmen led by one of the warbands existing members a bull headed beastman. These are a mix of Khorne specific and general types. I'd like to use more bull headed types but they are in short supply and I don't have any damaged ones to convert at the moment. The palette is based on the one from the WD 124 Heavy Metal adjusted to take account my available paints and washes. You'll notice the beastmen have a stone on their bases like the rest of my figures while the bull head has a skull, I've decided to differentiate this warband by using skulls on the base as I've done on the bull headed one. the exception to this will be where the mini actually has a skull on their head like the skellies.

1014966636_o.jpg

1014966646_o.jpg

1014966655_o.jpg

1014966675_o.jpg

1014966665_o.jpg

Comments criticism and suggestions for bull headed beastmen encouraged. On to another minotaur next.

inchmurrin

Significant progress on the warband. In quick succession I managed to buy a skull headed minotaur lord and Diehard's undead minotaur and centaur. Strictly speaking the centaur should be a live one based on the rolls but I've decided to take Curtis advice and play up the undead/skull theme. So here they are.

The warband champion a Sir Loin Foulbreath with skull head, his paint job owes a lot to Mr Saturday to whom thanks.

1017777705_o.jpg

1017777702_o.jpg

1017777697_o.jpg

1017777693_o.jpg

The skeletal champion, a minotaur of course, Diehards Grom Durr.

1017777682_o.jpg

1017777686_o.jpg

1017777678_o.jpg

1017777674_o.jpg

Skeletal centaur also by Tim Prow at Diehard

1017777720_o.jpg

1017777712_o.jpg

Comments and criticism encouraged.

inchmurrin

Re: Minotaur Warband - Last minotaur

This is the last of the three minotaurs I need for my warband. I'm surprised at how quickly I manage to complete the project it really held my interest especially when I introduced the emphasis on the undead part, I'll look out for more undead minotaurs and beastmen to replace those currently recruited.

1020669873_o.jpg

1020669868_o.jpg

I'll do a group shot over the weekend and as always comments and critique welcomed.

inchmurrin

The traditional complete warband photos without the traditional human behind them. Last minotaur added after a bit of repainting following being told off by JB for leaving metal showing on the Facebook group. I'm glad I went down the undead route it was much more interesting I think. As always comments and criticism invited - and yes I know I need to get a proper background for my photos.

1023275713_o.jpg

1023275730_o.jpg

1023275747_o.jpg

1023275685_o.jpg

symphonicpoet

That's a lot of beef you got there! :grin: I would say yes, you'll have that thing finished before the year is out. Great project and a neat selection of toys. Looks like fun, horn to hoof.

Back