Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

Fixed these two (just got to fill in the chainsaw gap) and got a few more characters to add to the retinue. Shame there arnt any female characters. Anyone got a female inquisitors to sell me?

JonAtron

All the lads are based and primed and ready to paint with the addition of a Thunder Warrior I forgot I had. He now has a new job as an Inquisitors retinue/ guard.

Now, the Land Raider. The only option the Inqusition has in 8th is the Prometheus with quad heavy bolters. Lucky for me I already made one so i have the guns pre made and swapable, woohoo!

multimelta upgrade, pintle mount.

Custom exhaust. I only had one exhaust which, mm, just didn't look right on its own. So, thinking the Inquisition would have the best of the best, upgraded engine/exhaust. Not sure about the original one though. I might just get rid of it?

The sponson guns - ran out of magnets that fit or are man enough to hold 'em. But lucky for me I had some old metal wire (which I got from some fireworks night sparklers, I thought I'd keep it for pinning wire) Glued that in and its holds just fine with the magnets in the guns.

---------------------

So far, so good. Got me another one of those 10 ooo leagues under the sea style head lamps! :grin:

I put the books on the doors which I will paint in the Inquisition logo. I did try and cut the icon out of plasticard but man, I have no fines with it.

JonAtron

Just a little army update as a whole.

I have 2 more terminators and 1 apothecary then its done. (I do still have that jet bike and vincent blackshadow but I never plan to run them. I'll keep them in the box for a rainy day)

JonAtron

I've always gone with an overall zenithal highlight for my tanks. 2 reasons, 1; I was new to airbrushing (still am) and didn't have the confidence to do more. 2; I wanted the force to look realistic-ish. I feel bored of that now and wanted to try something new for me. New colours, new techniques to learn and to be braver with the airbrush and colour. I've found that when all is said and done, all the fancy smooth subtle blending and little details are of limited interest to people I play with and are not noticed on the table top from the viewing distance. I wanted to do something that pops this time, has colour presence. So here is the start, in gloss varnish ready for pin wash. I went for panel modulation with the purple.

I have overcome one issues with the air brush though! Yes! It was mostly due to my technique with the tip clog. I'd cut the paint AND the air leaving paint in the tip, that would dry in a couple of seconds and then no delivery of paint on press despite pinching the tip clean. This session I stopped the paint but keep the air flowing through the brush to clear the tip out each spray. So simple and obvious I know, but when your fussing about trying to get angles and juuuUUuuust that right amount of paint spray and make the perfect blend and gradient and is the paint a good viscosity, etc its the last thing your thinking about. 90% longer spraying time now before tip clog. As always though, had a mare with the brush. Solve one find another. I think its due to a tiny little deviation/bend of the needle tip that affects the spray pattern and makes it quite grainy now. It's got bent as I have no crown cap on it. Lost it down the sink. Doh.

I've enjoyed this airbushing merlarkey but honestly, I feel like its fought me every learning point of the way. I watch videos and peoples blogs, they are all like, "yeh, you just do this and that and then bam-boo-bish, golden demon quality and I've only cleaned the brush out once man!" I try to smooth the grainy blends out with a brush and glazes but then I find because of the micro texture of the spray it shows if its too heavy or leaves tide marks if its too thin... Do you just wake up one day and the paint gods smile on the suffering plight and struggle of a man and grant him the boon of silky smooth painting for his dedication? I know, I'll shout profanity at and bash that airbrush, that'll show it who's boss! :grin:

JonAtron

ADVICE PLEASE if you don't mind imparting :)

Bit stuck here, not sure what to do. Non Metalic Metals, shiny gold doors for the tank.

A: Is my gut feeling of how the shiny gold would sort of reflect with the horizon (photoshopped the horizon in).
B: Is how the guides and pictures I've looked at suggest the light hits it. I couldn't find a proper shiny gold book/shape image though.

I'm genuinely torn between which one. I knew I should have just stuck with an inquisition I logo instead :grin:

-------------------------------------------

Purple and gold. That said, I know it supposed to be shiny gold and I see it as such, does it look like shiny gold though? :grin: The girlfriend, judge of all that I hold true is unsure. Good job I don't listen to her. Ignorance is bliss.

Berkut666

Personally I think on the purple it does look like shiny gold. That said I am colour blind in one eye so my opinion is probably not worth much. I did look through the good eye and it looked great!

Juxt

The gold on the sponson guns definitely reads as a bright shining gold, but the hatch and book aren't selling it as well to me for some reason. Is it that the sponsons have more of the brightest highlight that the hatch doesn't? Is it that the dark horizon line makes the entire panel feel overly dark? Do you need a brighter 'sunset' line directly at the top of the mountains to provide a higher contrast? I'm just thinking out loud here really, I'm not particularly proficient at nmm, let alone senmm, so these are just things that pop to mind.

That being said, the purple is a beautiful shade with nice modulation, and I really like it combined with the nmm gold, can't wait to see it finished

jon_1066

I'd go back to the drawing board on the NMM. For me neither look like shiny metal. They need to take into account the light shining off both bits - the sponson and the door would reflect into each other. Even the book and the flat panel should be reflecting each other as well.

JonAtron

Thank you for the input guys, much appreciated and on that I've been doing some more research.

It seem what I am trying to paint (on probably the worst shape combos) is a technique called SENMM or Sky Earth Non Metallic Metals. I've got to admit, I just looked up a few NMM - Non Metallic Metal guides when I was painting those space marine figures before and went with the experience of that and a little artistic impression this time. So, digging around the interwebs again, I just can not find anything on this for gold/large areas. I did find me this guide on a tank door though! :grin: But alas, no book shape stuck to it :(

NMM-Chrome-Painting-Tutorial-1-290x300.jpg

Trouble is I think, with the chrome effect above, the juxtaposition of the colours and the choice of them make the brain and eye see what it is expecting it to be, as most people have seen images of shiny chrome paint, cartoon book covers, car adverts etc. Its familiar to the eye. For me using the gold, the gold I've assumed would mute those colours out thus end up kind of like I have painted it? So does not readily look familiar to the eye and brain that what its looking at is the Chrome effect but in gold and the model lacks context of a base or background to help with that.

The other issue I'd have is if I painted the reflection of the guns in the door, (which I agree would be in effect) when I changed the guns it would be off. Also, it would only look right at a certain angle as the reflection and size of it would alter on angle of viewing which as a matt paint effect wouldn't.

Hmm, I feel I've bitten off more than I have the painting skill and experience for here and I'm really at a loss as to what to do with it. I love the colours with the purple. I could just paint it a metallic gold OR get a proper reflective gold spray. But what would I learn from that? Would it even look right or kids toy like. I duno :grin: I'll have a go at the other door in a different way and see how that fares, more white, more shine maybe.

jon_1066

Only field the tank at night - problem solved as no light source to reflect!

Does the door have to be gold? If you just went for the gold book and bolter housing that would give you a more controllable shape and set of elements to try out your techniques on first. I think the problem with the door is that it is just such a flat expanse that what would be seen becomes very dependent on the position of the light source and observer.

JonAtron

Thanks Jon, sadly, I don't have a glow in the dark tape measure :grin:

Does the door have to be gold, mm, no. A good idea that to mitigate some of the issues and make the challenge more bite sized. I appreciate the feedback and chat!

I am rather set on the idea of the gold though. I want the tanks to be ostentatious, a statement of the wealth and power of the Inquisition and inquisitor Killian. I'll have a play with the other door, if that don't work, I'm toying with the idea of a metallic gold gloss spray for them. If nothing else I'll get a light reference for how it reflects and paint over it. hmm... I'm going to paint some dull tank tracks and let my brain rest from this a bit.

JonAtron

I tried and was happy with the basic result, I also liked the colour against the purple, but it looked just a little, I don't know, cartoony? So relented I went with a metallic gold, which, was not what I really wanted and I am not overly happy with, I think it looks cheap and tacky, a little soulless even after washes and highlights, but I don't have the skill of paint and brush to truly achieve what I wanted with the matt paint. Guns, brazier and aerial are magnetised.

Inquisitor Killian stood aside the Land Raider. A true relic of old yet looking as new as the day it's first bolt was hammered in. It's gold doors and weapon housings shone as brightly as the gold of his own terminator armour, the purple as rich and deep, unblemished likewise. Banners hung from around it, filled with wards, scripture and boasting the Inquisitorial I symbol.
'Magnificent, don't you think?' He called out to the entourage behind him, lifting the golden power fist and pointing at the tank. Killian's personal servitor winced, head bowing in anticipation of the digital weapon accidental and habitual discharging from the Inquisitors power glove. Try as the Inquisitor might, he could not get the hang of the weapon yet, it frequently discharging during the action of finger pointing. Not good for those on the other end of an argument or being given directions. This time however, it did not. Killian strolled around the tank, eyes filled with admiration and pride. It was everything an Inquisitor should be seen in. Strong, proud, larger than life and the tank had presence. The extravagant colouring and gold showed wealth and power and gave a sense of stature and power above all others less and as an Inquisitor, all but the Emperor himself were less. This was a Promethus class Land Raider, up there with the rarest of the rare, quad heavy bolters, uprated engine, additional sensor and communication suits and able to transport him in full terminator armour, something most other vehicles civilian and military alike had issues with.
'I accept your generous gift, Aculades.' He said to the Rouge Trader. This was less of a gift however and more a safeguarding of the traders investments, a price to be paid to smooth previously raised tensions that had arisen between the two and safeguard the Traders onward passage of weapons and relics, a planetary sums worth waiting to be sold for profits. Aculades smiled, relieved and moving before the Inquisitor, held out his hand to shake. Killian, being left handed offered out his golden power glove in return, vastly larger than the Traders hand but with its intricate workings, capable of the gentlest touch. -zZZZ-SHUM- Without warning the digital weapon discharged from the finger, the lazer flashing out and burning a small but steaming hole along the side of Aculades' boot.
'Sorry, sorry,' Killian uncharacteristically called out to the stunned Rogue Trader. 'Its this thing, it keeps doing that. Well call it even now may the Emperor protect.' He smiled broadly, briefly before turning and snapped at the Servitor, 'Get me that Jokaero!'

Still WIP needing a few finishing bits and a matt coat.

JonAtron

Moving on from track to foot, we have Inquisitor 'Wax'. While the model is in no way oldhammer being of a currently produced plastic kitbash of Guard and Empire AoS. The metal hounds I believe are 1990's Dark Elf Whelp Master War Hounds.

And in WiP skulls and Cherubs

JonAtron

"Counts as" Inquisitor Hector Rex in his power armour (the only Inquisitor of late to have such a suit) and retinue of 6 acolytes.
With the exception of the kit bashed plastic and modern Hector, the rest are metal from 1990 I believe (with a few repair mods.)

ardyer

That's such a great mix of models! The people came out great!

JonAtron

Yet another Inquisitor, new sculpt (forget the name of game its from, some rather nice looking pirate thing) slightly modified. The rest are GW 1990's -ish I think. Penitent Psyker, Demon Host and a broken servo skull I found in the bits bag. Drilled the broken stand out of the skull and used thick pinning wire. Just as good as new.

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damne

That's enough Inquisition for now, I've got all the main piece I've been playing with painted and had mixed success with them out on the board. The tank though with all its heavy bolter shots and buffs is a beast! I will come back to these.

As talked about earlier in the thread, I've juuuust started a few little test/proof of concept pieces for RTB1 Legion of the damned squad of 10. I've seen it done on this forum before and whilst I can not compete with that standard (not that any of us need to as we are all friends here :) I'd quite like to field a squad in a game or two AND I had enough bits in the bits box to cobble up something. The use of the RTB1 bodies goes very well with the fluff of the LOTD having been a ?Fire Hawks chapter of old, lost to the warp.

Plaiecivile

Re: Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damne

So for Christmas I want... your tank! :mrgreen:
The colors and technics on your Inquisitors are great, but that tank, what a great piece!

Keep up the good work.

Back