Crimson Fists Marines, Inquisition & Legion of the Damned

JonAtron

Re: Crimson Fists - Rogue Trader Space Marines

As ever, thank you for the compliments!

So, to blend the bases into the board I set them all into place and used the airbrush to yellow the board into the bases. This worked well, only, its made work in so much that I now have to go around and re-black all the bases sides. Still, couldn't see a quicker easier way. They need a touch up also from the sand grinding them as they got put in and out of the cut outs.
The colour is not quite a total match. I managed to get the whole board washed with 1.5 pots of Reikland fleshshade watered down, (all comes down to cost/money) which worked ok, BUT, when it all dried, there were large areas of what looks like what I can only describe as salt/mineral frosting/white bits. Looks bad, like missed or patchy base coat. So I've tried to fix the worst of it with watered down base coats as I've got no flesh shade left to wash it and I don't want to flatten the colour. All these little issues all add up and make you appreciate the crisp clean work of others and just how impossibly good or lucky they are to achieve it.

Just about done. Just need the narative parts for the techs and medic and, yeh, can't really think what else to do with it. Any ideas?

A year on and still working in the ghetto paint shop :grin:

Bit of Photoshop magic and some Rogue Trader Scans.

SO, yeh, here we are a year later, at what you could say is the horizon to the culmination of the Crimson Fists project. If your in the Devon area, pop into GW and give my board a vote on the 13th, I'll be outside keeping all the other contestants families from getting in to bump up their count :grin:

As for here though, I've still got bits to finish off for the army as a whole, so more easy lunch break viewing coming!

JonAtron

Just done the narrative bits. A wounded marine, just needs a mat varnish. I'll work on the techs debris to give it a bit more interest, but the base is there. Oh, and I need to sort out the superglue frosting where the plants are :/

JonAtron

Space Marine force with no purity seal... Fixed. Tea bag stained paper, photoshop and some wax. Just got to trim that wax edge a little. Also I noticed that Pedro Kantor (as it is spelt these days) is actually Cantor with a C as per his signature on the authorisation mark out of the Rogue Trader book. Deed poll is obviously still around as part of the Adeptus Administratum.

Suber

Clap clap clap clap!
This is one of the most exciting projects I've seen in quite a while. What a dedication, what a wonderful result!!

JonAtron

A little 'Easter egg' find for those that know what they are, for 99% of those who will see the AoP board, just a magazine? :) They are not glued so I can move them into that perfect aesthetic position on the day, that will clinch me the title and aaaaaAAAAALL the winnings!

Going to have to give it all a dusting of all things by the look of it.

Berkut666

Holy smokes. I have to stop looking at this thread. It actually makes me want to pack my paints and toy soldiers away and never show my face in public again.

Top work, very impressive

You've knocked this right out of the park Jon. The mini rule books are the icing on the cake. If you make it to BOYL next year (I know it's a long way away) you should definitely bring it along. I, and everyone else, would love to see this.

I tip my hat as far as it can go to the ground to you Jon. A brilliant effort :)

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

JonAtron

I consider myself very much an amateur/novice, so to get such comments from you people (of who I regularly check out your offered blogs/works and look up to) is very nice indeed, I must be getting a few things to a reasonable standard now and then. That, or you all kind liars! :grin:
Anyway, the pile of scrap for the techs to play with was a bit dull. So I put in a little broken box with some wires hanging out to draw the eye / connect the narrative of it with the Tech who has the cables dangling from his hand. Still needs a little something. Don't know what.
I found an ork skull in the bits box so I painted that and put a plant in his eye for some random board scatter. It was that and seeing the bag of metal skulls I had that gave birth to a little idea and test...

...A servo skull scanning the scrap the techs have. Now for it to work the lazer scan had to look half right and be strong enough to hold the weight of what is actually a heavy metal skull in relation to size. So the thinnest meatal wire (florists wire I think it is?) was cut and folded into a 'V' and green stuffed into the eye socket. This will give it the strength AND the strong definitive lazer edge of the beam.

I used bit of clear plastic meat tray, cut out the shape and scratched my head on what to do with it. Leave it clear? Give it a few washes to tone it green? Looking at pics from the disco tech as it passes through smoke it almost looks like water/ink/clouds. So I had a dabble. I painted one side and turned it over so the shiny smooth unpainted side is the top, to give it a clean, crisp digital flat look. I then glued in bang in the middle of the two wires along its edge. I think it works? While not technically correct for the little scene as there is no fog or dust blowing up, visually it kind of looks like what you might expect it to look like rather than HOW it should. Hopeful it will work with the scene. if not I'll um, use it for something else. :?

JonAtron

The dove from above. Saw this floating about in a bits bag. I think its from some chines cheap xmas crackers or something. Not very well molded but a little diy with a scalpel, putty and GW bits and we have a very basic Apothecary's familiar, to record last rights and scan the battle field for the wounded. (Just hope no one looks toOoOo closely)

Back to the servo skull. I'm not sure about it. Does i throw the viewers eye off by drawing it over or is it just because I'm not used to seeing it on the board.

Not much time left, working next 3 days and then its show time. Time to stop adding and start snag fixing. Black base side painting ahead :(

twisted moon

JonAtron":2p5840q2 said:
Back to the servo skull. I'm not sure about it. Does i throw the viewers eye off by drawing it over or is it just because I'm not used to seeing it on the board.

i had to look for it in the photo, so i don't think it's too glaring.

Outsider

I think the servo skulls looks great; it's a nice touch and adds a splash of colour. Doesn't stand out at all.

JonAtron

Thank you guys, appreciate it.

Had a 10 minutes spare tonight and an old tape measure (Richard Block and David Quayle stylee) and thought...

:grin: Bit of paint and use up the last of those printed water slide transfers I made. Waste not want not and all that. I'll just sit this along with a trio of pearl blue dice at the back edge of the board so show off a completely themed, fully playable RT Army on Parade. No more time for anything else now, crunch time on Saturday!

Just for anyone's interest here is the board break down of costs. This is something I've not seen spoken about in any threads. While its not about THE money, its good to have an idea of how many pennies you'll need before starting out with a project like this. So as to budget and not end up like me with it costing more than you think and you have to put the extra pennies in to finish.

£7 6mm 2"x4" mdf board
£9 4mm cork roll
£11.75 GW spray paint can
£5.10 x2 pots of wash
£8 500ml PVA/wood glue - good stuff not kids crap.
£6 spray glue - for cork, trust me its just easier and quicker than pva.
£46.85 total.

Sand / plants / extra colours / bits I already had. So when you see peoples boards/work with all the GW building/forts and extra stuff I can only imagine they are pushing close to £80 if not more!! I'm sure if you raid your bits from the shed and don't paint your bases out of the ordinary colour schemes it would be much cheaper paint wise. :grin:

JonAtron

Now I know all this isn't strictly a WiP post/entry but, in the interest of continuing a story, a project here is how AoP day went.

It was an interesting day, bitter sweet. Never done this before and I was a tad nervous arriving early to set up, wondering what stiff competition I would have. Alas, I was genuinely very disappointed to find I was the only adult 40k entry?! :shock: Everyone going with Age of Sigmar. Another Space marine entry did appear to give the voters something to split a vote or two on followed later in the day (after most of the voting was done) by an impromptu display of a Tau army after I persuaded them to bring it in!

For those of you that don't know how it works. You display your army and then the general public come in and vote for their favourite board in categories of 40k/fantasy. These are broken down into, best theme, best painted, best over all, best board and something else. The boards with the most category votes win a little certificate for that and with all the categories added up across the 40k/fantasy win a bronze, silver, gold medal.

The trouble was, not having much competition in the 40k meant that there was not many people for the voters to split their votes across. So lucky for me I accumulated much of the score of 40k votes. (I did work hard at the board, matched my bases, counter sunk them, etc, so I didn't feel bad about that.) What it did mean though was that the Fantasy entrants had the same number of voters splitting their votes between more people, so their individual tally when all added up would be less. So In a nut shell I got a gold medal for most voted board in the store, but for me, personally I felt it bitter sweet, a hollow victory. (That or the painted tape measure brought me all the votes! :grin: ) Still, it looks nice though and I am pleased with it as a finishing touch to the project.

The board and army as a finished project.

With its crisply painted rival and modern counter part.

The spoils of war!

The board got a lot of attention for all the right reasons, from the older folk who revealed in the nostalgia to the 'Young Bloods,' who loved comparing the old to the new and still recognising all the familiar shapes and roles of the units. The most enjoyable part of it all for me was talking with people about the old models and their love of them. I was genuinely surprised at this in this modern age of super cast and detailed hero marines, people loved the RT character, details and feel of them. I'm not really sure what to take of it all other than a smile when people asked the store manager where could they get a such and such which was long out of print. :grin:

What would I do different if I did it again. Height, I would give it more height. You guys did advise me on that but I didn't quite give the steps enough of it, it was still quite flat. Less models, again you lot did say but I had my idea and went for it. Not displeased with that only I'd go a lot less and have more room for board work. More colour pop. I'd go braver with my contrasts and colours to make it all pop and catch the eye in a pleasing way. A little bit more individual on the character rather than the blob of blue army.

So, what now. I've got a few things to finish off which I'll update here, but this WiP project is mostly done as much as any collectors army truly is so updates will slow down.

JonAtron

Just restoring these now. Getting beat up old plastic back into shape to make a trio of Predators.

Don't suppose anyone has any of the old exhausts laying about for a couple of £ ?

JonAtron

Lots of bits of dozer blades. Lets make something.

Plasticard fix (amongst others) these bits.

Put it all together.

Now, I've got 2 pure RT Predators and this one weapon changeable one. I want to be able to play it as a relic with weapons options such as twin laz cannon turret or twin assault cannons and heavy bolters on the sponsons. (Just need a couple of Space Crusade scout H.B's, they fit a treat.) But I also want the twin assault cannon for a razorback option, cue magnets and scalpel. Hopefully, hopefully the guns will be interchangeable between the two turrets there. Lets see how it goes. Might look rough as old badgers balls.

In the paint shop.

JonAtron

With exception of the 'new' tanks, the army is all but at full strength now.

What with the October painting competition going on here I, I thought it an opportunity to try and up my game from table top standard, to learn something new and get out of the comfort zone. Now, I can't compete with you excellent painters, sadly, but I can learn for your work and examples and butcher your techniques! :grin: :grin: So from what I've seen and learnt from you lot, I went for the washes and glazes to try and build up a smooth purple with good contrast and highlights to draw attention to the face and a few interesting areas (as opposed to a global zenithal highlight.)

Then, and I wish I had not (in for a penny in for a pound.) NMM aka non metalic metals or WTF for the n00bs like me. Now I've looked at a few guides on this and of course it looks so easy and straight forward. You can do it all in just 4 easy pictured steps! sure, sure. :grin: Lets shiny GOLD this mother up! ... oh, wait, what, brass?! It looks like oldish polished brass!? *face palm* Not sure what to do about that. I think its because of the shade of brown base / mid colour I used? Its too brassy looking which throws if all off from shining polished gold to said metal? I duno :? But maybe a more yellow/lighter brown base? ... help :)

jon_1066

Congratulations - A well deserved victory. You didn't make up the rules of the competition so don't feel bad about winning it - you put an amazing amount of work into it and it is well deserved.

Any plans for these guys to hit the table in a game?

JonAtron

Well, Jon, sadly there are no oldhammerites near me so its 8th edition only. I've got a little game tonight. I've played a couple of disjointed mish-mash games to get a feel of the rules. I'll take a pic or two if their army is painted nice and it looks a good match up.

As for WIP, I've just submitted my entry for the Golden Gobbo.

A little battle/game synopsis + HERE +

SamusDrake

Jon, thats a sterling job you've done there on the Terminator chap. The purple and gold suits him well! 8-)

Back