Throne of Chaos : campaigning with Realm of Chaos

patatovitch

Hi,

I wish present you the beginning of a campaign I lead with Chaos Champions and Realm of Chaos.
We use the book Tamurkhan for background but we play our own "little" champions. The huge battles and the big heros (as Tamurkhan himself) will stay maybe invisible but our champions fight between them or between the ennemy of the Lord of Maggots. The background of this story is sufficiently open for allying Nurgle (of course), Slaanesh and Khorne. Tzeentch is discarded except as enemy.

We have already play 4 battles with WFB3 but we don't abstain from playing with other editions. We will integrate other player or play larger battle like that.

The pitch (in french)
http://verrahrubicon.free.fr/rdb21_tamurkhan.html

PHASE 1 : In the Chaos Desolation

Battle 1 - First blood : The Camaros (Nurgle) versus The Chaos Brothers (Slaanesh)
http://verrahrubicon.free.fr/rdb21_1_1_ ... sangs.html
rdb21_1_0.JPG

Battle 2 - Grudge : the same (less losses of the previous battle)
http://verrahrubicon.free.fr/rdb21_1_2_rancunes.html
rdb21_2_1.JPG

Battle 3 - The Temple of War : The two allied warbands versus allied Champions of Khorne and Tzeentch for a ruined and haunted temple
http://verrahrubicon.free.fr/rdb21_1_3_temple.html
The first Chaos rewards arrive !
rdb21_3_3.JPG

Battle 4 - Clash of gods : A daemonic battle : Nurgle versus Tzeentch for a Pillar of power
http://verrahrubicon.free.fr/rdb21_1_4_ ... iaque.html
rdb21_4_12.JPG

Nurgle took the ascendancy, Tamurkhan is coming...
To be continued.

patatovitch

Four battles later, some champions are dead, some have changed... The Camaros continue on their way.

PHASE 1 : In the Chaos Desolation (continued)
Battle 5 - Divine vengeance :
Tzeentch crunch the mortals who have seen his previous defeat. It is a slaughter : two deads and a wounded among champions of Nurgle.
rdb21_5_10.JPG

Battle 6 - Recruitment :
The Camaros meet a chaos dwarfs warband. It is a victory.
rdb21_6_5.jpg

Despite some defeats, Tamurkhan's faction win the first phase.

PHASE 2 : Land of stone and dust
Battle 1 - Meeting engagement :
Camaros meet a goblinoïd tribe. A hard fight but a defeat...
rdb21_21_1.JPG

Battle 2 - Cathay (to do)

Battle 3 - Conquest of giants:
A slaangor tribe try to capture some giants... A new defeat.
rdb21_22_2.JPG

H-yarg leader of the Camaros :
rdb21_6_3.jpg

All the battle reports in french : http://verrahrubicon.free.fr/rdb21_tamurkhan.html

brella

That's a lotta giants! I love the old Marauder guy. Mine has seen quite a few battles, but usually just ends up being a pin cushion for elf arrows!
dfJtlI.jpg

Subedai

Those are great looking battles! Especially that goblinoid battle line is a big inspiration to keep working away on my forces.

i loved the one with the line of giants charging towards the beatmen and minotaurs. i really love the oldhammer minotaurs. they really are fantastic minis.

Gallivantes

patatovitch":285av6xq said:
H-yarg leader of the Camaros :
rdb21_6_3.jpg

This guy is the most RoC I've seen in a while :grin: What an understated yet brilliant conversion. His paint job really suits him too, lovely muted colour palette, dirty and gritty. I even love his name.

"Bloated" seems, at least to me, to have been the main attribute in portraying Nurgle in later periods of Warhammer. Blight Kings, Glottkin etc. It's certainly not out of place in the context and some old pieces really thrive on the idea - like the old Great Unclean One for example. But I think the opposite idea of skinny guys has great merit to capture the spirit of Nurgle equally well. Famish and decay are ideas closely linked to the concept of disease. The multitude of ailments stemming from Nurgle's influence would surely bring deficiencies and atrophy as well as rotting bloatedness.

Besides, a chaos force thrives on variation, both visually and logically. Chaos armies aren't so much meant to be mustered at one time and place but grow more organically over time as Champions duke it out and the favour of the gods come and go. There should be a natural ebb and flow to the constituents of a warband or army. Some have been with it for hundreds of years, some just joined, sometimes not even knowing they have just trod upon the path of chaos. It stands to reason they would reflect the overall idea of sickness in different ways and degrees.

What I get from the malnourished look is a sense of desperation and tragedy I don't get in equal measure from the big fatties. And what is the service of Chaos if not desperate and tragic? Since the RoC era Nurgle has also featured robed, hooded characters and scythes. What is that a reference to other than the grim Reaper which we so closely associate with plague and death. And last time I checked the Grim Reaper is just a skellibob under his coat.

This particular guy looks great brandishing his weapons atop his steed in full sprint, distinguishing him from most things Undead he could otherwise be mistaken for. He certainly doesn't look shambling or dead but rather alive and vicious.

10/10 from me

I recognise the upper body, do you happen to know where the horse and legs come from? I'd love to know :)

patatovitch

Thank a lot for this comment ! It is the first time I'm congratulated for my painting. :)

The horse and the leg are from Rackham an old french company (for the game named Confrontation).
http://haekel.free.fr/IMG/jpg/MVCE04.jpg

A new picture of H-yarg - now nicknamed "the Coward" ("pétochard" in french) for the fans :
rdb21_25_06.jpg

He has now a power axe instead a arm.

Gallivantes

You're welcome. For some a good paint job is all about immaculate blends, I think I value other things more. A good colour palette applied in a good way around the model wins the day for me. A basecoat, wash and drybrush goes a long way if the colours are just right I think.

I do appreciate people who paint a single miniature for a year using the utmost of care and crazy techniques and tools to absolute "perfection". Gotta give credit where credit is due and the result can sometimes be jawdropping. Even so, the perfectly blended model won't look nice without a good colour palette.

I like your dragon Ogres for that reason too. Your grey-green ones look nicer to me than the old GW fire engine red ones. I'd love to see a group shot of H-Yarg, the dragon ogres and the Beasts of Nurgle :)

patatovitch

Hi,
The journey of the big stinky -Tamurkhan- continues.

Here is the end of the fourth phase of the campaign (6 in all), the Chaos horde crossed the Border Princes.
Behind the Lord of Nurgle, there are "small" champions: the warband of the Camaros lead by Y-Harg for example.

The Camaros warband has evolved. At the level of the champions, Y-Harg himself has progressed. He was able to attract the Eye of his god and is now a powerful champion (4 gifts), however, dangerously approaching the eternal degradation (5 attributes). Mettio Nonum, a wizard, that follows the band since the Desolations of Chaos has also significantly increased in power (5 gifts, 4 attributes). Now he is as much a sorcerer as a warrior, especially with his new Chaos armor. Coming later, Feng-Po-Po is now a powerful wizard level 3 whose presence in combat makes that often the difference between victory and defeat. He had 2 gifts and 3 attributes. Grangor the Pestigor had the honor of being summoned for a demonic battle. He came back heavily mutated (3 gifts, 4 attributes) but, despite his slowness, he is an extraordinary fighter. Pin Tim fell in battle in the Border Princes. Finally, the warband welcomes two new ones: the warrior Feigmano and the sorcerer Genty. Both have serious psychological problems (attribute cowardice for the first and alcoholism for the second) that risk to compromise their future ...
At the level of the followers, the Camaros do not very attractive. A small band of mechanoid beastmen accompanied by a lobotomized ogre (the "Mekha") has made a singular place in the band. However, their stupidity often makes them inoperative. Grangor always has some Minotaurs admirers and some Pestigors or beastmen (who turn a lot because of the losses). Two Dragons-Ogres follow this last champion and another follows Mettio. Y-Harg harpies and Mettio gobs are still there even if they tend not to participate in all battles. Finally, the Chaos Spawn Imosmy always drags its stupidity and decay, battle after battle. Otherwise the band also has a banner representing the Tree with the gallows where Tamurkhan has gathered before its descent towards the south. Most recently, four Chaos Dwarves (forgotten in the picture below). Who knows what they are preparing?
In addition to these appointed followers, the Camaros generally fight with other following human Chaos including marauders of Chaos Dolgans or Kurgans or tribes of beastmen.
rdb23_camaros_0.JPG

Some pictures of this phase :
Chaos Dwarfs :
rdb21_41_2.jpg

A deamonic battle:
rdb21_42_2.JPG

Human armies have always been beaten :
rdb21_43_1.JPG

rdb21_46_02.JPG

rdb23_0.JPG

All the battle reports and the story in french :

snorri

Looks wonderful and a lot of fun! It has to be a pleasure with a colection like this. Thanks for sharing!

patatovitch

The campaign was over. more of 30 battle reports, 18 mouths !
Tamurkhan was defeated at Nuln after this travel through the Black Montaigns !

They had fight gobelinoïds :
rdb21_53_01.JPG

The Camaros warband at the end of the phase 5 : Y-Harg is severely mutated (gift "hybride beast of Nurgle). He abandoned his warhorse and won a giant snail as a friend.
Y-Harg and Mettio are almost at the end of the road : 6 gifts each.
rdb21_5_camaros.jpg

But, the war in the Empire is not a gentle walk :
rdb21_65_00.jpg

rdb21_65_09.jpg

At the end, Y-Harg has 6 attributs (he will not become a deamon prince anymore...) and Mettio Nonum is dead. The road to power is thankless. :(
The Camaros has been weakened but not destroyed : new champions are coming. We have not finished hearing about the Camaros!
rdb21_6_camaros.jpg

You can read all the story (in french) here :

Back