Pre-Hammer: - Scenic Building for Model Railways

ManicMan

Okay.. Not 100% sure but I'm gonna say fine.. see what Admins think.. (Print media copyright is 70 years after the death of the author, and he died in 1979 so it's not 70 years yet.. but the copyright is probebly more with the publisher then the author.. so.. getting complex)

A few years ago, I was quite lucky (I think) to find some nice stuff in an local Charity Shop. For about a £1 each, some Early 'Eagle' Annuals. The Eagle was an old British Comic starting in 1950, it ran to 1969 until coming back in 1982 in a completely different format. It's mostly well known for its most well known character 'Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future', set in the far future of.. the 1980s...

Anyway.. The earliest Annual I got was Annual 3, which was published in 1953. 70 years ago this year. In it, I found this article very interesting. Written and Drawn by skilled artist Walkden Fisher (Who not only drew comic strips and cut away images, but he did alot of drawings and work with scale model stuff and was a major guy for 'Slot car racing' including being a technical editor for the North American 'Model Car and Track' Magazine. as well as 'Model Maker' magazine. He also worked as the Model Maker for Dan Dare (the art was based on models of the characters and objects, or in some cases, real people posing).

Anyway.. In Annual 3 is the 6 page article 'Scenic Building for Model Railways' aimed at 00 Gauge scale but stated it could be used for 0 Gauge (which .. 0 Gauge is about 1:45 which is pretty much 1:44 which is used for 28mm gaming. It's all about Simple and cheap (for 1953) ways to make scenic stuff for well.. Model Railways. I've scanned it and put it into a PDF for download. It's always good to see new and different ways of doing stuff and I might try some of these myself when I get the chance. The Builds are:
1) Trackside Embankments (okay to look at but not sure how well they would support figures)
2) Making Model Trees (easy to convert over)
3) Modelling a Tunnel Portal (again, easy to convert over)
4) Building Retaining Walls and Fences (easy to use)
5) Hints on making Model Buildings (.. EtC (Easy to Convert))
6 & 7) Making a Realistic Lake (Only a few shillings to get some Hammered glass sheets from your local glazier.. how times have changed)
8) A model Log Cabin in 4mm scale (00 Gauge) (size only matters cause it gives things like sizes as an example.. scaling it up would mean... thicker matchsticks I would say)
9) A through plate Girder Bridge
10) An American Control Tower (Signal Cabin) (I think these are fairly common in the UK now.. or kinda dying out now.. hard to say)
11) Miniature Barrels, Wagon Loads of Coal and Telegraph Poles (This is a fun one.. the Barrels are basicaly a hand controlled lathe cutter)
12) Modelling Buildings in "Low-Relief" (Background buildings)

http://www.tesp.co.uk/OHam/Eagle3_ScenicBuilding.pdf
(hosting offsite because PDFs don't attach ^_^)

Kinda a shame it's more 'Modern Day' stuff but that can be still handy and some basics just need a bit of converting to use for other things. I don't think the Model Airplane which uses Asbestos paper, or a gunpowder motor would be.. the thing you could find in a kids comic these days ^_^

Fimm McCool

I love seeing that hand-drawn stuff. On our shelf at work we have a bunch of 50s/60s/70s woodwork and DIY books with glorious line-work plans and illustrations. The content is almost always better than anything you'd get nowadays as it was written by experts assuming a degree of skill in those making the items.

ManicMan

I need to double check the other ones I got, but most of the 'builds' are a bit more unrelated. model planes, garden Pond, all stuff aimed for young boyes ^_^

Sleepysod

I made a huge tree last year using the exact same method - interesting to see that technique has been around for so long. Also I have never heard of anyone with the first named “Walkden” ever before - so bonus points there as well.

ManicMan

^_^ yeah, I looked at the other volumes I got, not much interest for modelling much there. He died in 1979 at too young an age of 66 (by the way)

Back